Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 6:58:21 PM EDT
Has anyone bought M16A1 upper which is currently available at a few on-line sources (like CDNN for one)?

Are these uppers in the light gray finish or medium gray finish? Do you know any place where the price is less than $399?

Last, how does this upper shoot?  

I appreciate your input. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:51:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought one from CDNN.  Comes loaded with Cosmoline, so needed lots of elbow work.  Appears brand new and just like every other FA A1 upper I've ever seen.  Finish identical to my other A1 uppers - dark gray to my eyes.  Stamped C MP chrome bore, like the others.

A1 uppers are still my favorites for all around FA shooting:  price/availability of  M-193 such as it is.

Bought a coupla their take out bolt/carrier assemblies, too.

Sam
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:24:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Sam,

Thanks for your reply. Is it difficult to get all the grease out of the gas pipe, if I don't have any special cleaning tool? Or do I clean and then shoot the remaining grease out ? Please tell me how to do it.

My Colt lower is light gray. (It's a blue label w/ standard hole) So, this upper sounds not a good match color-wise. Has Colt made any USGI upper in the ligh or medium gray? I'll keep looking. Again, many thanks to you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the M16A1's looking, too. Also I like the fact it's light, and the 20" length barrel is short enough to me. I don't mind the 1/12 twist barrel, either. 55gr ammo is all I have right now. I don't see any possibility that I engage gun fire with enemy at long distance (say 600 meters and beyond.)

At least not for the next 4 years.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought one of the M16A1 uppers including bolt from Kiesler's for around $500.00, is in new condition. Had some grease on it, cleaned it and it shoots fine.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#5]
DP,

I've never cleaned a gas tube.  Other than getting as much of the visible stuff off, I'll just shoot it.  

I can't say that I've ever been too concerned about light vs. dark gray.  It seems to me that a coupla ARs (green tags) that were safe queens seemed lighter in color when they recently saw the light of day after about 10 years of benign neglect.  Some BFCLP was applied and they seem darker now.  My brother's blue tag AR looks the same to my eye.  I honestly can not say that any of the 5 AR/M lowers and 8 uppers in my possession are different in color, except inasmuch that some have more CLP on the surface than others.  Come to think of it my K2 Daewoo looks about the same to me.  Guess I'm not a color connoisseur.

I find A1 uppers shoot at least as well as HBAR 1/7 20" A2s and 14.5" M4s with 55s, but haven't played with a 1/9.

Sam
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Come to think of it my K2 Daewoo looks about the same to me.  Guess I'm not a color connoisseur.

Sam

I am trying to build a Vietnam era M16A1 look-a-like. So the appearance is my concern. A little mis-match of color should be OK.

I have already had a M16A2 look-a-like. I'd love to build a M4A1 in the future -- when I receive my permit to own SBR/class III. I can't stand the 16" bbl. It doesn't look correct to me. I got to have the 14.5" barrel, or not at all.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Buffer Tech has the best price on M16A1 uppers at the moment.  $325 for a complete upper with Colt's barrel, and for another $25 you get a Colt's bolt group.  Not sure what brand bolt group you get at the $325 price:

www.buffertech.com/ar15_uppers.htm

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh yeah, and last I knew CDNN had late style M16A1 buttstocks, buffer tube, spring, and buffer for $50.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#9]
All the uppers, bolt/bolt carriers and barrels are GI.  We also have a limited number of handguards, buttstocks, springs with buffers and pistolgrips we will sell with the uppers.  The added cost is $40.  Buffer Technologies
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the heads up Larry, I just called back and got the furniture added to my order.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Hi guys.  I normally don't do this, but you may want to check out this on the EE.  (click here)  Yes, it is my posting...but  when you read what it is and why I posted it, I belive that you will see why I'm pointing you to it and why doing so may "help" more than just me.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:08:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I just got mine. All original M16 slabside upper no b/bc/ch/
Barrel marked C MP C
Upper was like new with factory grease.
Only wearmark was on left side of  receiver. I believe from storaging.
Price was awsome $150 + shipping.
I'm going to  testfire it today BTW I bought it from auctionarms
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Are there any parts that need changed(NFA) before mounting on my current no-ban upper?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Are there any parts that need changed(NFA) before mounting on my current no-ban upper?

No.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top