Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 3:10:28 PM EDT
Ok, i notice that on the installation for some of these FF units, there is a recommendation to, rather than removing the barrel, to cut off the delta ring and spring. Do you also need to cut off that retaining clip for the delta ring and spring?  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The snap ring and spring usually need to come off too.  I've done this with a SIR and the GG&G system.  I make 2 cuts on the delta ring to get it off.  Then the spring and snap ring can be pulled off if properly persuaded with a set of pliers & ring tool.  I haven't cut the spring or ring as I don't really want to slip with the cutting wheel and put a big mark in the barrel nut.

I pulled a barrel for the first GG&G install, but haven't bothered with the past couple.  It's quicker for me to cut the delta ring.  Just make sure you clean the upper well after you do any cutting.
Scott
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ok, i notice that on the installation for some of these FF units, there is a recommendation to, rather than removing the barrel, to cut off the delta ring and spring. Do you also need to cut off that retaining clip for the delta ring and spring?  

You need to tell us what you want to install.

For the Troy MRF, yes you must remove the spring and clip.  (It's really easy.)

Other systems require replacement of the bbl nut.  You're not asking about this, which is why I believe you're asking about the MRF installation.

Corey
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#3]
When I put my SIR (#59M) on, I cut off all three with the dremel tool. I had to cut off the forward handguard retaining ring, too, since it was loose on the barrell and rattled around.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Caught me Corey! And here's my situation: I have a CMT upper, and a complete 16" Colt pencil barrel, not attached. I was about to put the spring, delta ring, and clip on, but remembered people cutting things off. SOOOOOO....

if i go Troy, i can just install the barrel nut, fit the gas tube, and on comes the Troy, right?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Caught me Corey! And here's my situation: I have a CMT upper, and a complete 16" Colt pencil barrel, not attached. I was about to put the spring, delta ring, and clip on, but remembered people cutting things off. SOOOOOO....

if i go Troy, i can just install the barrel nut, fit the gas tube, and on comes the Troy, right?

Sounds right.

Good luck and post pics when you're done!

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't load to Hunt101, but here's a link!

Pic is crappy and small. Gotta work on that, but here ya go:

pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chizguns/detail?.dir=/5803&.dnm=27e2.jpg

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:51:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I can't load to Hunt101, but here's a link!

Pic is crappy and small. Gotta work on that, but here ya go:

pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chizguns/detail?.dir=/5803&.dnm=27e2.jpg

That looks great!

How do you like it?

Corey
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Corey,

I like it, but it does take some getting used to, with the added weight and all, but overall the rail is sweet! I am now rethinking the 9V surefire though, if it's really that necessary for me and my civvie needs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top