Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2004 6:46:59 PM EDT
Does anyone sell this combination in an assembled upper? I want an A1 slickside with a lightweight barrel, but I can only find the DPMS Lo-Pro (stripped) at a reasonable prices.  Are Bushmaster and Model 1 the only suppliers of lightweight 16" barrels? I have a 16" Model 1 Hbar flat top, so I would prefer not to get another A3. I'm looking for lightweight and simplicity in the new Upper. I have a DPMS chromed bolt carrier and bolt from a currently unused Hi-rider 20". Any suggestions?

Terry
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#1]
How about you get one of these and one of these...

from here and then have this GREAT company put it all together for you.

that's just a thought.  

Have a good one.

Stainless
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:58:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Colt A1 upper receiver sans barrel assembly if you're interested.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Duffy,

You have mail.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

www.fulton-armory.com/M16Upper-350_50.jpg

I just got one of these uppers yesterday. Beautiful upper, beautiful finish, but the tolerances are, um... tight.

-The holes for the ejection port cover pin were slightly undersized.

-The channel for the charging handle was also on the tight side (one CH wouldn't even drop into place).

-After getting the ejection port cover installed it wouldn't remain closed because the inner bevel wasn't deep enough to fully engage the detent on the cover.

-The interior where the bolt carrier group rides isn't smooth - there are grooves that can be both seen and felt.

Those are my main complaints. Haven't even tried to mount it on a lower yet.

Will stick with my Colt M16 upper.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't received yer mail yet, but I'll describe it briefly.  It came from a Colt AR15 A2 rifle, it's one of the transitional units that has the A2 handguard and stock, but A1 sight and no brass deflector, it does have a forward assit.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#6]
OK. Got the ejection port cover to close. Spent an hour being careful with a ceramic stick and in a fit of frustration broke out the Dremel. Works fine now.

Upper mounts on lower just fine. No problems with tight takedown pins. No problems fitting a Colt M4 barrel.

It's growing on me. Color match is perfect with a Bushmaster lower.

I will pick a sacrifical bolt carrier and see how it fares in the upper. View through ejection port looking forward.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:32:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
OK. Got the ejection port cover to close. Spent an hour being careful with a ceramic stick and in a fit of frustration broke out the Dremel. Works fine now.

Upper mounts on lower just fine. No problems with tight takedown pins. No problems fitting a Colt M4 barrel.

It's growing on me. Color match is perfect with a Bushmaster lower.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/gregw45/colormatch.jpg

I will pick a sacrifical bolt carrier and see how it fares in the upper. View through ejection port looking forward.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/gregw45/toolmarks.jpg

And I'll bet that if you try to put a scope mount on it, the channel will br extremely tight too. Anchor Harvey seems to be the forge that's turning out all the forgings on this type upper, and they're all coming out on the small side in the charging handle slots (only one of mine fit) and the groove in the top shelf that you'd fit a scope mount into.  My own came w/the ejection port cover already mounted, so I didn't have the fitting problems you did.  Bushie, DPMS, and now you inform us that Fulton, are all selling these type uppers, and they all seem to be exactly the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top