Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 11:03:58 PM EDT
Did Colt ever make an aluminum 3 position collapisble stock for the SP1 Carbine? Correct me if I am wrong!!  Colt produced aluminum 2 position collapsible stocks for the SP1 Carbine.

Thank you,
Chuck
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:45:32 AM EDT
[#1]
2 position was all Colt ever used for the SP1 (and SP2) collapsible stocks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:23:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I may be old and forgetful   , But I had an SP1 carbine back in the 70s ,
and I SWEAR it had 3 detent holes !
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I know the military rifles had 3 position stocks, but other than that, I do not know.

Sammy

Quoted:

Quoted:

I may be old and forgetful   , But I had an SP1 carbine back in the 70s ,
and I SWEAR it had 3 detent holes !

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Two hole only.

Check the Lock plate and Lock ring. Are they peened over, locking the two together? Also, look for Colt's epoxy gloss black paint dabbed onto the peened area. They did this to the Bolt Hold-open retain pin as well.

ls
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Two hole only.

Check the Lock plate and Lock ring. Are they peened over, locking the two together? Also, look for Colt's epoxy gloss black paint dabbed onto the peened area. They did this to the Bolt Hold-open retain pin as well.

ls

Give the man with the good memory a cigar (or a beer if he'd rather)

Exactly right; both for the SP1 carbines, AND the XM177s that the military was using at the time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:25:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The only military telestocks prior to the M4 were on the XM177-series and they were rubber coated aluminum with IN and OUT positions only.  As were the first plastic M4 Carbines.  I've never had occasion to use either in other than these two positions so 3, 4, and 6 detents are mostly fluff.

-- Chuck

I agree totally, when it comes to the early tytpe collapsibles.  On the newer, longer M4 type, I can see where some guys might want an asjustment an inch or two shorter, to get back to original length, but that's about it.  All the other positions are just useless applesauce.

Having said that, I know damn good and well that someone{s] is going to write in and talk about how they absolutely need to have one of the intermediate positions for breaking into people's houses, or some other BS.

To which I respond in advance  "Horse poop. There ain't a darn thing you can do with one of theose slots that you can't do with the original in/out two position."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top