Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2004 7:34:21 PM EDT
Just saw a 9mm SBR set-up and am rather intrigued.  I've standardized to 9mm for my pistols for now and am attempting to rationalize that a 9mm set-up for my AR would be neat.  With my .223 AR, I shoot rabbits and I think the 9mm would be just as effective given the usual ranges.  Right?  

First, what in the world do I need in order to swap back and forth between .223 and 9mm?  Upper?  Mags?  How about the mag well?  What brands of gear should I check out and/or avoid?!  

Will the sunsetting AWB effect the SBR prices / taxes and availability?  

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#2]
9mm FAQ

Basically, you need a 9mm upper, 9mm bolt, mag well block, 9mm (or DPMS hammer), and some Colt, or UZI mags.

Hope that helps,
Jake

ETA the AWB sunset will have nothing to do with SBRs. You'll still have to pay the $200 tax stamp if you want it short.  The only thing the AWB sunset might affect is the availability of 9mm magazines.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Jake...

The DPMS hammer will work in both 5.56 and 9mm ARs?  Have you tried this before?  I would love to have one hammer work with both 5.56 and 9mm - not having to switch hammers would be nice!

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I have not tried it, but apparently as long as the hammer doesn't have a notch in the front face (DPMS style) it will work in a 9mm setup. I think some people have complained of trigger slap using the DPMS hammer, though. I have a DPMS hammer that I can try with.

On the other hand, I have also read of people using 9mm hammers successfully in .223 uppers.

Jake
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top