Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 7:48:20 AM EDT
begin to think to buy a .22 LR upper for my Bushmaster XM15 E2S 20", mainly because I want to enjoy some fun plinking and pratice skills with these inexpensive .22. I prefer to buy a complete upper, because I worried about the lead deposite in the barrel if using a simple .22 conversion kit, and 1:9 twish rate might be too fast for .22 LR. I heard that DPMS has some .22 LR uppers, then Bushmaster just introduced a Carbon 15 .22 LR upper. I would appreciate the guys who used either of these .22LR uppers (including other brand I might not know now) to share their experience:

1. Which upper is better? DPMS is alum. while BM is carbon fiber, it seems DPMS upper is more solid (and heavier), which do you prefer?

2. BM upper have no forward assist, could this sometimes cause some problem when the bolt cannot close completely?

3. I prefer to use iron sight since .22 LR is most effective within 75 yds, DPMS does have an upper with the NM M16 A2 sight system, how about the sight on BM?

4. Are these uppers just drop in fit in any brand lower?

5. other considerations

6. other brand uppers?

Basically I want to buy an upper with the $300 ~ $400 range with iron sight for praticing and plinking, so please don't talk me into the $1000 deluxy upper
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#1]
If you pop into the forum just below this one, the one on Pistol Calibers and Rimfires, you will find an evening's worth of reading on all the items you're curious about. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#3]
DPMS would be the way to go IF they make Hi caps for them
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
begin to think to buy a .22 LR upper for my Bushmaster XM15 E2S 20", mainly because I want to enjoy some fun plinking and pratice skills with these inexpensive .22. I prefer to buy a complete upper, because I worried about the lead deposite in the barrel if using a simple .22 conversion kit, and 1:9 twish rate might be too fast for .22 LR. I heard that DPMS has some .22 LR uppers, then Bushmaster just introduced a Carbon 15 .22 LR upper. I would appreciate the guys who used either of these .22LR uppers (including other brand I might not know now) to share their experience:

1. Which upper is better? DPMS is alum. while BM is carbon fiber, it seems DPMS upper is more solid (and heavier), which do you prefer? DPMS, Bushmaster doesn't produce an A2 upper (just their space-gun carbon thingy), DPMS gives you Standard A2, M4A2, and 'space gun' for choices

2. BM upper have no forward assist, could this sometimes cause some problem when the bolt cannot close completely? DPMS forward assist is inoperative

3. I prefer to use iron sight since .22 LR is most effective within 75 yds, DPMS does have an upper with the NM M16 A2 sight system, how about the sight on BM? See above... BM is space-gun only, you can add your own BUIS and/or carry handle if desired... No optics or sights are included

4. Are these uppers just drop in fit in any brand lower? YES

5. other considerations

6. other brand uppers? CZ makes one if you don't mind no irons, or buying them separately. The cost of the CZ upper is ~$300, but you have to add sights or optics, making it comparable to the DPMS unit

Basically I want to buy an upper with the $300 ~ $400 range with iron sight for praticing and plinking, so please don't talk me into the $1000 deluxy upper

$400 from Cheaper than Dirt for the DPMS unit, either M4 with A2 sights, or 20" with A2 sights...
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Wait, the BM .22 upper IS carbon, but it also DOES have irons.

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/post-ban/az15846k.asp
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:17:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm,
I played with the DPMS upper, and the Bushy upper at Perry.  The ability to accept hicaps is #1 on my list of .22 upper features.  And yet I still bought the DPMS. . . . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top