Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2004 8:57:51 PM EDT
tinyurl.com/45n8g

Numbers 8,9 and 10.

These look an aweful lot like Flash Hiders rather than Brakes.  I am going to build a rifle and I was wondering if these Brakes are classified and cleared by the BATF as brakes and would be legal in the State of New York which will still have its own Assault Weapon Ban even after Sept 14th. I believe the NYS ban is identical to the Federal Ban.

I have heard that some companies have made brakes that look a lot like flash hiders but have been ruled brakes and legal by the BATF.

Can anyone help me out on this?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Model 1 is calling them brakes.

If you are concerned, then either Model 1 or Young's Mfg. should be able to supply you with a copy of the BATFE letter classifying recognizing these designs as brakes and not FH's.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#3]
... Does anyone here know where to find parkerized phosphate gray A2 flashhiders ?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Haha nice hijack ^^ thats ok...

Thanks for the reply guys. I appreciate it. I guess I will have to ask Model 1 to prove it to me, I don't want my buddy taking a flash hider into NY State where their ban forbids it.

Again, thanks for your info and advice.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Take a look at the pic below.  The device on the far right is an A2 flash hider.  The remaining devices are all muzzle brakes designed to look like flash hiders.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't Tread -

Your link didn't work for me, but are you are talking about the Young Mfg brakes?  J&T uses Young's brakes on their post ban "tactical" fluted uppers.  I have one and really like the barrel / brake. Remember they must be permanently attached to be legal.  These are good brakes for that purpose... they have a single set screw on the bottom that can be welded over.

Scot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top