Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2004 6:51:23 AM EDT
I'm reconfiguring my BM Dissipator to a carbine.  CQB to 500meters.
LaRue carbine length looks pretty good, but is it better than the other two?
The Troy kinda scares me cuz it just clamps on rather than threads on, but I do like it's uninterupted top rail feature.
YHM certainly does my Scot's blood proud with how cheap they are comparatively, but apparently they are not "in spec".
So what does the group think?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:00:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I would have to suggest the LaRue because of the FF , lightweight and cost!  The Troy is nice too but a little heavier.  However, it can be installed without removing the front sight base.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#3]
IIRC, the Troy was the first handguard to implement an "anit-roll system". You can't go wrong with the Troy OR the LaRue.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#4]
get rasII
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#5]
The troy system comes with a system that completely prevents barrel nut loosening as well as has a continuous top rail.  After using one myself, I would definately recomend it because of both their price and their quality.  As well, it's easier to install than the Larue system.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]
You said you had a BM Dissi?  If I'm not mistaken that uses a rifle length gas system so why would you put carbine length handguards on it?  Just a thought.  As far as what I would get.... My first choice would be LaRue.  I currently have YHM handguards and love them for price but the old versions are not in spec but I believe the new ones will be.  I have no experience with the Troy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:01:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You said you had a BM Dissi?  If I'm not mistaken that uses a rifle length gas system so why would you put carbine length handguards on it?  Just a thought.  As far as what I would get.... My first choice would be LaRue.  I currently have YHM handguards and love them for price but the old versions are not in spec but I believe the new ones will be.  I have no experience with the Troy.

Yes you are mistaken. Rather than figure out what diameter  to widen the gas vent in the barrel, BM just used a carbine length gas system with a shaved front sifht/gas block, then mounted another front sight at the proper point on the barrel for a 20" sight picture on a 16" bbl. To my knowledge, such that it is, Kurt Walla was the first to offer a full length gas system "Dissipator" conversion, that wasn't a jam-o-matic.

Front sight removal won't be a problem, LaRue seems to win.
Thanks for the responses.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Huh.  I always thought it had a rifle length system.  Good choice with the LaRue by the way.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Huh.  I always thought it had a rifle length system.  Good choice with the LaRue by the way.

Rear FSB is shaved and functional, forward FSB is there for show only (when speaking of gas system operation - it does act as a functional forward sight).  Forward FSB has a pin in the gas tube hole to keep the handguard cap indexed properly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top