Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2004 4:53:35 PM EDT
While rummaging through my box of AR parts I was comparing the two spare A2 buttstocks that I have and could not positively identify which one came off of my Sporter and which one came from.....J&T maybe?  The major diff that I observed was the latching mechanism for the trapdoor.  One has a "knob" protruding from the latch and the other doesn't.  The one with the knob also has a hole in the screw head on the buffer tube, while the one without the "knob" has no hole.  

Anyone know which one is the Colt?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Dunno which stock is the Colt. but that hole in the upper screw is supposed to be there as a drain hole for the buffer tube. IF that is the original screw in the buttstock, THAT will be the Colt. If you don't know if it is the original screw for that stock, I can't help much.

Lonny
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:52:34 AM EDT
[#2]
The angled notch trap ia actually an A1 piece.  The one w/the tab sticking straight out is what is cuurently used on A2s.  I prefer the A1 type myself, You can open it much easier. On the new type, the bullet point, or whatever else I'm using is always slipping off the darned shelf
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:48:15 AM EDT
[#3]
The only noticable difference I've seen between Colt buttstocks and others is the Colts are grey and others tend to be black.  I had a grey one on my factory Bushmaster, so this method is iffy at best.  Probably no help, but just adding my observations.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#4]
My guess would be that the one with the A1 type butt trap door is the aftermarket, since Colt would have been unlikely to have any in stock that they wanted to use up.  The interesting thing is that you really can't tell the difference between a new Colt and a new anyone elses A2 stock. At my house I've got a new takeoff Rock River, and new takeoff Bushie, and two new never mounted Colr A2 atocks. There's not a nickels worth of difference in look, feel, color, or anything else between them. Only the fact that the Colt stocks are in plastic bags, with Frankford Arsenal tags indicating that the were sourced from Colt, tells me where they came from; but for the life of me, I couldn't tell you which of the takeoffs was Rock River, and which was Bushie
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info.  I guess I'll just keep 'em both.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top