Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2004 3:17:21 AM EDT
I chose my AR among the several the dealer had in-stock at the time, partly because I thought that stepped section of the barrel looked cool. Of course like many newbies I had next-to-no knowledge of what I was buying , and only later through shooting, talking w/ friends, and connecting to this site ! , did I come to at-least partly educate myself.

So in that spirit, tell me. Thnx.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:26:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:37:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I chose my AR among the several the dealer had in-stock at the time, partly because I thought that stepped section of the barrel looked cool. Of course like many newbies I had next-to-no knowledge of what I was buying , and only later through shooting, talking w/ friends, and connecting to this site ! , did I come to at-least partly educate myself.

[shameless plug]Since you are in VA,  come on out to the Black Rifle Day next month and we'll get you up to speed on every thing you need to know [/shameless plug]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[shameless plug]Since you are in VA,  come on out to the Black Rifle Day next month and we'll get you up to speed on every thing you need to know [/shameless plug]

That was a very nice plug. Your link doesn't seem to be working though.
BRD

Fixed.  Cutting and pasting is harder than I thought
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The stepped down portion of the barrel is to allow the M203 grenade launcher to be mounted to the barrel. The barrel is also cut down under the handgaurds.

This unit fits under the handguard, correct? How is this affected by the change in barrel diameter. Ah dunn unerstan.....
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Ah so, velly crever.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
....I thought that stepped section of the barrel looked cool.

While the step does serve an actual purpose, most of us bought or built M4gery's for the same reason you did.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
....I thought that stepped section of the barrel looked cool.

While the step does serve an actual purpose, most of us bought or built M4gery's for the same reason you did.

The M4/A2 contour is also lighter than the HBAR. And they can be obtained with a 1 in 7 twist.

And they go great with a Val Kilmer or Robert Denerio mask on Halloween.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ah so, velly crever.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
In the early 80's, the Abu Dahbi government asked Colt to make them a carbine version of the then-new M16A2.  They wanted it to have all of the same features and capabilities, including the ability to mount the M193203, but with a carbine (i.e., 14.5") barrel and collapsable stock.  That rifle eventually became the M4 carbine.

-Troy

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I think the military copied an Airsoft rifle that looked cool!

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

On the M16, they mount the grenade launcher to 'special' handgaurds.

On the M4, the HGs are too small, so it locks onto that special 'notch' in the BBL...
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top