Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2004 3:53:51 PM EDT
So what are your thoughts on DPMS????

anyone
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a few uppers and a LR-308.  Good stuff in my book.
My beater AR is a DPMS and never misses a beat.  edited to add: Even with cheap-ass re-man ammo.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#2]
My DPMS M4gery works just fine. Supposedly they're ammo sensitive, but I don't shoot cheap ammo so it's not a concern to me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know if they resolved it or not, but they had quite a problem with bolts shearing in half.  Not a good thing, IMHO.  It may no longer be an issue, but I'll never be able to own one after that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:30:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't know if they resolved it or not, but they had quite a problem with bolts shearing in half.  Not a good thing, IMHO.  It may no longer be an issue, but I'll never be able to own one after that.

I believe they fixed it a while ago.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:24:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Why do you want input?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#7]
The problem w/DPMS is that they source theoir stuff from different suppliers, and what you get depends upon who they bought their pieces from that week, or month, or whatever.

Bought a complete lower from them some time back and when I unwrapped it found that the left side of the stock had a gouge, the bolt hold open was so out of spec that it had to be replaced immediately, the mag release button was so wierdly shaped I couldn't stand to look at it, and the trigger gurd was a tool marked POS.  On the other hand, the hammer and trigger were clearly well made pieces, and have held up well.

I know that many folks have bought DPMS stuff that they're completely happy with, but I will not ever buy another DPMS product.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#8]

they source theoir stuff from different suppliers, and what you get depends upon who they bought their pieces from that week, or month, or whatever.

This is true, But everyone does this including Colt, Bushmaster or whomever! Am I correct?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

they source theoir stuff from different suppliers, and what you get depends upon who they bought their pieces from that week, or month, or whatever.

This is true, But everyone does this including Colt, Bushmaster or whomever! Am I correct?

Yeah, but the other guys apparently check the stuff over before they sell it. DPMS clearly does not. Also, as far as I know, DPMS does not make ANYTHING they sell.  Colt and Bushie at least make their own major parts, which is why you've never seen posts here about their bolts breaking.

I have no doubt that there are many fine DPMS rifles out there---but my own motto is "Sell me a piece of crap once, and you don't get a second chance."  They sold me a piece of crap
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#10]
i have no experience with their newer stuff, but

i bought 2 lowers in 2000 or so, they both were cast, and nothing fit in these recievers, the uppers would not attatch, the pin holes were way off, like 80+ thousandths

i tried bushy parts, nothing worked, i called dpms, and i was told that the uppers i was using must not be mil spec because their lowers were, and i was also told repeatedly how mistaken i was in my statements  that my bushy, model 1, sherluk, armalite, and other bitch gun parts were totally interchangable with each other, but not their lowers, hmmm

i had to use a dremel and spend a lot of time to get them to work, they became loaners for the range, and eventually were sold

never again will i use dpms anything
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#11]
DPMS...Defense Procurement Management Service.  Yep, they buy from others and put 'em out for sale in either complete rifles or parts form.  And yes, sometimes, they get bad parts.  DPMS has taken care of every issue I've ever had with their parts, taken the time to answer my stupid questions and paid shipping (both ways) when something had to be returned.  Is DPMS just as good as Armalite?  No idea, probably not since they don't have their own quality control on each assembly line but my 308LR 24" runs great. (16" 308 upper runs great now too, but it took some tinkering)  If you're willing to give 'em a chance, they go the extra mile for customer satisfaction and the price is usually why I buy from them.

Just saw AvengeUSA's post...strange that we had such dramatically different experience with the same company.   No flames intened!   (but for the record, a DPMS technician DID once try to tell me I wasn't holding the rifle properly when that 16" upper was shortstroking--I sent one bitch-o-gram and I got an immediate apology...That one DID torque me pretty bad)

Edited to add some stuff
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought my AR-15 from them years ago, when they were the only "major" manufacturer that would assemble one to your specifications.  It's a cast lower which everyone was down on at the time.  I have had no problems with it, aside from one small metal flashing that needed to be trimmed.  They offered to pay for shipping both ways to fix it, but I just filed it down myself.  It's accurate as hell and reliable until it gets filthy.  Based on my experience, I would buy from them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:54:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I was under the impression that this was with their chrome bolts.  Did this also include the park'd bolts also?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:04:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
i have no experience with their newer stuff, but

i bought 2 lowers in 2000 or so, they both were cast, and nothing fit in these recievers, the uppers would not attatch, the pin holes were way off, like 80+ thousandths

i tried bushy parts, nothing worked, i called dpms, and i was told that the uppers i was using must not be mil spec because their lowers were, and i was also told repeatedly how mistaken i was in my statements  that my bushy, model 1, sherluk, armalite, and other bitch gun parts were totally interchangable with each other, but not their lowers, hmmm

i had to use a dremel and spend a lot of time to get them to work, they became loaners for the range, and eventually were sold

never again will i use dpms anything

My only question is, "Why would you buy a cast lower in the first place?"  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#16]

I bought my AR-15 from them years ago, when they were the only "major" manufacturer that would assemble one to your specifications. It's a cast lower which everyone was down on at the time. I have had no problems with it, aside from one small metal flashing that needed to be trimmed. They offered to pay for shipping both ways to fix it, but I just filed it down myself. It's accurate as hell and reliable until it gets filthy. Based on my experience, I would buy from them.

That would be my advice.  Watch out for the cast lowers.  My first AR was a DPMS cast lower.  I never had one problem with it but the finish looks cheap.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DPMS...Defense Procurement Management Service.  

The "M" in "DPMS" is "Manufacturing".

Done Properly Might Shoot

I have had two DPMS rifles both spent more time at DPMS and in transit then on the range
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
images.ar15.com/forums/smiles/anim_flame.gif

Thats a honey of a red X you got there.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I recently had a Lo-Pro classic.  The key word is had.  When I got it home it would not seat a mag!
I would think that is on the list of things to check before shipment.  I sent it back, ( at my expense ).  Apon return it found a new home.  hinking.gif
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:58:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top