Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2004 9:24:38 PM EDT
I'm about 90% set on getting the YHM 2-peice 4 rail non-FF handguard. Anyone have one of these and are not satisfied with it?

Specifically, I am wondering about how much movement one can expect with these. I have had a KAC RAS in the past; it has two extra mounting attachments the YHM unit does not: clamp around the gas tube and spring under the handguard cap.

That being said, the two pins on the YHM that mesh with the barrel nut would seem to preclude most movement. I am not going to put an optic on this; just a vertcal foregrip and perhaps a flashlight.

I have several YHM products (FF handguard, folding front sight/gas block, Phantom flash hider) and am completely satisfied with the materials and finish.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll hear no complaints from me... IMHO they're a great deal on a quality rail system.

Here's mine:

Edited to add: I just got an Eotech 551 mounted on it last night, I'm gonna have to take new pics.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, I like mine.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Like mine as well.  They did go on a bit tight, even put a tiny ding in the delta ring, but  they are solid.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#4]
gunbert

i love that sbr
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The only negative thing is they are very wide, especially with rail covers on.  I would suggest "fondling" a gun with quad-rail handguards first and decide for yourself.  

Scot  
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#6]
They are nice.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I  like  mine just fine.

TG
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys, I'm sold on the YHM!
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Not to complicate matters StormSurge, but have you considered a Surefire M73?

I like mine a lot!
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#10]
What is the deal on the Surefire handguard?

Man, there are so many of these things out there its getting confusing!
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#11]

What is the deal on the Surefire handguard?

Inexpensive, but high quality.

Lightweight, slim profile, and rock solid once installed.

That's the deal...

Here are some pics: www.gandrtactical.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#12]
This is a link to TNronin's review of the YHM and Surefire foregrips.

Click the link on the left marked UPPERS, the review is near the top.  Good read, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
gunbert

i love that sbr

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:09:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Gunbert, thanks for the plug, I'm humbled and flattered that this can be of assistance.

In reference to the difference, I think the biggest is the overall dims and mounting systems.  It sure felt like the M73 was somewhat smaller in the hand, I didn't even think to take measurements at the time, sorry.  The lock up on the M73 fet pretty secure, though I have a concern regarding taking off and replacing and the set screws loosening up, these are steel screws interacting with aluminum, and I could see some wear occuring with the number of times I dicked with the HG.  Even with locktite, you would have to reapply it each time you unmounted the HG.  Just my thought on that.  Additionally, if you have a set-screw GB you need to be careful, IIRC Norman put one on his gun and moved his GB, not good.  In my email conversation with the SF crew they were pretty big on the HG, in fact the tech I conversed with offered to buy the HG with his personal funds if I wanted to sell it.  To me that is a pretty good statement.  I didn't get to shoot the M73 as I was looking for a FF system at the time and didn't have the YHM yet for testing.  So I can't vouch for the heat dissapation between the two.  Though if the DEA is using the system, I would venture a guess that it will hold up fine.  Not that they are the end all, but that there has been extensive testing.  

With the YHM it just seems beefier and someowhat more sturdy in that the metal is thicker.  I also preferred the quality of the milling on the YHM HG.  And lastly the price, it always boils down to that, as bad as that is to say, we all have budgets.  For the $109 that BF is listing the YHM for that is hard to beat!  Just my thoughts and you know the saying on those.  HTH
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:31:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Here  a few pictures.

TG
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:35:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Mine has movement, but it's on the bottom piece moving if you're holding the forward grip.  The upper handguard doesn't move at all.

Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:52:03 AM EDT
[#17]
ive had both the surfire and the YHM......both fit extremely tight,both well made......no play at all even with a vert grip...the problem i had with the surefire is there are huge gaps at the delta ring and the front handguard cap......for me it would be way too easy for brush or other stuff to get caught in these gaps......plus as posted before the set screws could work loose without loc tite.email me if you want pics of both.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey on the YHM there are some screw holes from each side. I did not get any set screws with mine are they supposed to have them? Or is that not what the holes are for?
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#19]
The screw holes on the YHM are actually accessory mounts for adding a sling swivel. I do not know what else is avaliable to mount there but I am sure more things will turn up. I think the sling swivel goes for about $3.75 - $4.00.

Link Posted: 8/14/2004 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Nope, I like mine.

+1

It's been great for me as well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#21]
TX, that paint scheme rocks!
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I just orded mine a few days ago, so when it gets here I'll let you know how I like it, if you don't already know YHM makes the upper receivers for Bushmaster and they also make there Phantom FH, So if your ever in doubt about there quality, and you own a Bushmaster, just look at the upper peace for now
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#23]

if you don't already know YHM makes the upper receivers for Bushmaster

I did not know that!

I thought my ARs would be a BM/YHM hybrids, what with all the YHM extras I've got on them; now it seems that they will be purebreds! Hurrah!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#24]
How do they compare to the KAC non free floated version as far as thickness?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#25]
What rail covers and vert grip will fit them???
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
What rail covers and vert grip will fit them???

All of them.  There used to be a problem with attaching the TangoDown grip to the YHM rails but that has been corrected.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Are you sure about YHM making upper rec for Bushmaster. If you call them you will get a different answer.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I love mine!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top