Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2004 9:06:07 PM EDT
Occasionally, a KAC RIS hits the EE. As i am running a Colt 16" pencil barrel, this rail seems to be the one for me. I called Troy today, and they've indicated their MPC-C or whatever will fit on my rifle, even with the light profile.

It seems like the RIS is an early gen rail system. Do the newer ones, like the Troy, offer features that are that much better that i should pass on the RIS and go with a DD/TROY/LaRue/etc.?

my usage will be a forward grip, GGG offset adapter. I really only need the bottom rail, but it seems like the larger HGs will allow for better cooling of this superlight barrel.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought about it, and ended up with the YHM 2 piece, the money was better spent in other areas for me.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 12:59:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing wrong with the RIS or RAS.

Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:46:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I could not agree more, a RAS or RIS will serve you well.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:16:16 AM EDT
[#4]
You're really considering very different systems with the RAS/RIS versus the others you mention.

These require you to break down the upper to install:
- DD/KAC (approx. $350)
- LaRue (approx. $250)

The Troy MRF-C ($250) can be installed without breaking down the upper, however you must cut off the delta ring, spring and C-clip (easy with a Dremel tool).

All of the above free-float the barrel (which is good, but some say not necessary).

The RAS/RIS is high quality and would fit your needs well.  The question you have to answer is whether you want to spend $250+ on an RAS/RIS that doesn't free-float your barrel when you can get free-float systems for the same price.

All of the above will work well for you, but you should understand their differences before making your decision.  There are numbeous threads discussing the DD systems, the new LaRue rail, and the Troy MRF rails.

You might also want to consider the very reasonably priced YMH handguards.  They are about $110, do not free-float the barrel and have rails that are not true milspec, but close enough for most applications.

Let us know what you decide.

HTH

Corey
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 9:06:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

yup
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You might also want to consider the very reasonably priced YMH handguards. Corey

thanks for the all the input. My YHM rail came and went, so i wanted to try something else. The Troy does seem to be my favorite, with the uninterrupted rail. That is a cool feature.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
... The Troy does seem to be my favorite, with the uninterrupted rail. That is a cool feature.

That was my choice.  Well, actually were my choices.    I have an MRF-CX and MRF-MX.  I am very happy with them.

Corey
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a RAS and love the hell out of it. I'm checking the box in the " don't really need to free float a carbine" column and dont want to disassemble to install. and it's M1913 is in spec so everything fits, and you can find better and better deals on them as everybody dumps them to jump on the next new rail system. I pumped almost 1000 rd's in 3 days on mine and it was sweet, no heat built up and I figure 5 shot 1" groups in the prone at 50 yds with an Aimpoint  will work "good enough" for just about anying I will do with it. Hell... I watch guys who can't keep  a string of 10 in the black on the high power range on their belly at 100Yds (its about an 8" circle) with freefloated HBARS with Match sights
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Our RIS is still pretty "good to go", as USSOCOM has bought more than 1,000 this year.
Even bette rif you can pick up a used one at a good price.  Then take the savings and buy one of our SAS/UK Lowers with the screw activated locking clamp (P/N: 20033) and use it as the lower RIS Rail...you will not be sorry.  It locks the whole thing up more better.  Does same on a M4 RAS as well.
It is very similar to the RAS2 Lower.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I vote for the RIS also, it's light, and I had one on a 16" lightweight upper and loved it.  I miss it like hell..Anyone wanna buy a SIR?
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#12]
why not just get the Shot show special for $275... includes Vertical grip, extra cover, and RASII...

i've had rasII for multiple months now and is flawless... rock solid...  i mount my aimpoint on top of the hump via low profile larue mount...
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
why not just get the Shot show special for $275...

A1 receiver, my friend ;)
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Also happy with a RIS on my 6520 upper...
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Plenty of scumbags are getting killed real dead by guys using that "awful rail system that does not free float the barrel”. It is light, easy to install, and works. What else does any body NEED?
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#16]
i have no experience with rails, other than the YHM $100 job. I don't own it anymore, and didn't get much use out of that particular set up. Long story. I have used a UFIR with forward grip alot though, and like it, but wish it wouldn't flex so much. Because i don't know anything about these, I know the RIS gets the job done, but i was wondering if a similarly priced item by another company offered other features that would make it superior to the RIS.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:27:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Plenty of scumbags are getting killed real dead by guys using that "awful rail system that does not free float the barrel”. It is light, easy to install, and works. What else does any body NEED?

This is why I don't go out of my way to FF my ARs except for my rendition of a SAM-R.  The gain in accuracy for what is essentially a combat weapon is not worth the expense or time to me.  "Minute of man" is good enough for the kind of shooting and available ranges in my area.   Besides, I like my optics on the upper.  The rail is just a convenience for forward grips, flashlights, or lasers.  My next M4 upper will however have a RAS II just to try out.  Nothing wrong with those who have the money or desire to FF everything they have, it's just that I can't justify it for myself.

The beauty if the RIS/RAS is you can easily switch back to normal handguards.  Any time you have to remove the barrel to change out a handguard negates the modularity.  I bought one of the first RIS that came on the market.  Still have it today.  According to Wes at MSTN, mine is an early model as it has no threaded holes in the rails.

Link Posted: 8/15/2004 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I agree many times the advantages of the FF rail system doesn't really make a big impact in the real world.  

One of the reasons I went with FF system is because I got a great deal on my FF-RAS MRE.  These days quality FF systems like the Troy MRF are actually less expensive than the KAC non-FF rails!  To me that makes a real world impact on my pocketbook and the advantages of FF and uninteruppted top rail don't hurt either.

Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The beauty if the RIS/RAS is you can easily switch back to normal handguards.  Any time you have to remove the barrel to change out a handguard negates the modularity.

I agree.  To some, it is nice not to have to modify the stock weapon in any way.  EVerything is give and take, so it depends on what features you want or feel are more important.  I don't feel the RIS/RAS is outdated at all.  i think it has different qualitites from the newer releases, but it still has merits and is just as alive and useful today as when they were first released.  I just feel it is nice to have all these choices today.  It wasn't that long ago when there weren't any rail systems at all.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:29:52 AM EDT
[#20]
UPDATE: doing some research on the web, and into this SAS lower. I only found it in one place, and it was over $100. Unless i can find a RIS for under $150, so that sounds like a TROY MRC-C is the ticket...
thanks for all your help guys.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Occasionally, a KAC RIS hits the EE. As i am running a Colt 16" pencil barrel, this rail seems to be the one for me. I called Troy today, and they've indicated their MPC-C or whatever will fit on my rifle, even with the light profile.

It seems like the RIS is an early gen rail system. Do the newer ones, like the Troy, offer features that are that much better that i should pass on the RIS and go with a DD/TROY/LaRue/etc.?

my usage will be a forward grip, GGG offset adapter. I really only need the bottom rail, but it seems like the larger HGs will allow for better cooling of this superlight barrel.

Very much a serviceable part!!! To this Day we still receive orders from crane in large numbers!!!
Jeff
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:15:55 AM EDT
[#22]
For the opposing viewpoint...I tend to think the pencil barrel will do better with a FF system, because it's so susceptible to pressure from VFGs and accessories.  If I had a 16" HBAR, I'd probably go with a standard RAS..but for the thinner barrels, especially considering that I tend to "gorilla" the VFG, I'll take the FF or RAS2 every time.

Edit: you KAC folks have an online copy of the FF RAS install instructions?  I picked one up and there was no sheet with it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Edit: you KAC folks have an online copy of the FF RAS install instructions?  I picked one up and there was no sheet with it.

try here:

http://quarterbore.com/kac/mountffras.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top