Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2004 8:06:01 PM EDT
Thinking about getting one cause of the reasonable price, any comments?
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/28/2004 4:54:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/28/2004 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the money I think they are great rail system.....

C4

www.gandrtactical.com

+1
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I am not a happy camper with them.  

I am retired military, and still keep my M4 up to date.  I bought the Surefire M73 based upon my personal experience with Surefire and my MP-5 Surefire light.  It was wrong of me to assume the quality would be the same.

First off, I did read several reviews of the Surefire M73 where people complained of excess "flash" material in the rail grooves.  I dismissed these as not relevant and more related to surface finish then functionality.  I was wrong.

I bought my rail from Trader World Gun and Pistol Range in Charleston SC.  I drove 110 miles each way just to pick it up.  When I got home I mounted the unit on my Colt M4.  Fit fine.  Looked good.  then I tried to slide my GG&G tactical foregrip on the unit....it became stuck on the unit about a third of the way down.  Trader World did NOT want to deal with the issue pushing me towards Surefire.  Surefire did not want to refund my money since I bought it from a dealer and not from Surefire directly.

Long story short I contacted Surefire speaking to George K there.  Returned the unit and they confirmed that the rails were out of spec.  GG&G makes to spec product....the Surefire rail was too tight on tolerances, and was actually out of spec due to the finish thickness.  Surefire replaced the rail....but then the troubles get worse.

We then mounted the 2nd set.  Everything locks up fine.  Tried to install the GG&G, Fobus, slide on picatinny rail accessories....NOT a one would slide on the rail.  The GG&G grip cracked due to becoming stuck on the rail.  

Right now the rail is at GG&G being inspected.  When I called Surefire again, their attitude was one of No way......can't be our problem.  I offered to send the rail accessories we use on the first return to which they replied no.  GG&G is doing a complete measurement workup, and is going to replace the grip.  Their attitude is MUCH better than SUREFIRE's.  I am going to send the entire packet including the precision measurements from GG&G to Surefire.  Oh by the way...the grip measures to spec.

Surefire has problems with finish thicknesses.  If you have a good one....excellent.  But if you use sliding rail accessories such as GG&G grips...check to make sure they work.

B Wood
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's a thread where I posted a few pictures for RobertM: Handguards

You'll notice in there that I took my M73 to Blackwater in June and ran it the whole time with the set screws backed out!  Not only did I not lose them, the M73 stayed tight the entire class!

I love mine and will probably get another for my 10.5 project this fall

BWood - Sorry to hear about your problems.  I know you are new here so I can understand why you didn't buy it from a site dealer but when ever possible (almost always) I do business with someone from this board.  Not only are some of the most outstanding dealers on the internet (and in person) but you don't have to drive 120 miles to get there and they will be your first line of defense in case you receive a defective product.  YMMV.  Welcome to the site
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are looking for a basic, low cost, easy to instal front end rail, for the price, they are hard to beat!  

BWood..sorry about the bad experience
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I bought one  and installed it about a weeks ago and I bought a TangoDown FG for it last week.

The HG is very solid and I have no problem mounting a EoTech on it or most of the clamp on/screw tight access.

THe TD VG is not tightly fitted, and it has some side to side & frt/bk play
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I just bought and installed my M73.  I love the look, the feel, and it's deffinately solid.  However, I really hate how the springs that the delta ring usually covers are exposed.  You can see what I am talking about in the pics that M4arc posted under the red "Handguards" link.  Am I just being too anal?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been satisfied with mine thus far. The price is a lot easier on your wallet than KAC   RIS/RAS  system.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, the M73 is a pretty nice HG for the price, I paid $143 for it and it it very solid HG. As to the spring exposed, mine is exposing the "teeth" on the barrel nut and I pull the D ring back over it from time to time, its no better and it just spring back in a few minutes. B/C of the way the M73 mounting system works, the pressure is on the halve of the HG which pushes the D ring in an angle.

As to the TD FG, I just bought a Daniel D. 12.0 FSP, save for my second build and I slipped the TD FG on just to see what diff. is the rails/FG fitment between the $360.00 HG and the $140.00 HG. You know what?

NO FRIGGIN" DIFFERENCE...

The TD is rocking the same way on the DD rails as it is rocking on my M73!!!

Well, at least I have a cool looking HG...hinking.gif

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:41:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

C4

www.gandrtactical.com

+1

+1 here as well
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my M73. My Eotech is mounted on it, and it works great. I have no problems with it, and I feel it is a GREAT deal for the money.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

C4

www.gandrtactical.com

+1

+ another happy camper.

+1 here as well

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Did you put the TD VG on either the 12 or 6 o'clock rail? If so and your VG is not fitting correctly, contact DD for a replacement....

C4

Grant,

A good thought, I might try that...

Did you mean TD or DD that is out of spec. I kinda thought you meant TD since the TD VG fits the same on both rail.

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top