Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2004 11:36:38 PM EDT
...just getting a standard 16 inch barrel with the new AR since I'm planning on having a flash supressor attached come sunset? My other option is the 14.5" with the permanent attached y-comp(I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Bushmaster M4 A3). I posted a week or so ago about being able to replace the y-comp with a phantom or vortex and still keep the 16" total length and some of you said it might be possible. Guess I'm just worried about the 14.5 refitted with the flash supressor being length legal. Think I'd be alright with the Bushmaster M4 barrel?
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I can tell you with 100% certainty that a 14.5" Bushmaster Barrel with a permanently attached Phantom or Vortex flash suppressor IS slightly OVER 16".

Bushmaster offers them as an option for pre-bans, and I owned one as well.  

As for the 14.5" vs. 16", I was always quite strongly on the 14.5" side of the fence, until I bought my first 16" mid-length barrel.  I never saw any difference in performance or accuracy between the two, and all the "velocity" stuff is pretty much just figures on paper as far as I'm concerned, BUT being able to swap flash suppressors, change front sight bases, add free float/rail tubes WITHOUT the expertise of a gunsmith has been the deciding factor....

On the other hand, if you just want an M4 clone, then those things probably won't matter to you, and for that, a 14.5" IS the one to have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top