Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2004 12:11:30 PM EDT
I am looking to get a AR15 for plinking. Overtime, I would like to upgrade the rifle. I have found this rifle  http://www.gunsnstuff.net/FAC/009.asp AR15 carbine rifle plinker. I would like to add a collapsable stock and flash suppresor or like.  Is this a good deal? Can I make the upgrades I want? Does anyone have a better suggestion?  If so please tell me.  I wouldnt mind building my own rifle from it kit if that is a better deal. Please help
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't add adjusting stock or flash supressor unless it is a preban rifle (assembled before september something 1994), or wait until the ban on such features expires this september. However there is a slight chance the ban can get renewed. Not sure what suggestions to make on the rifle, so I thought I'd just let you know about not being able to add flash supressor or stock like you want.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#4]
SIG,

or even better get Stag receiver for the mentioned $105 plus Complete RRA parts kit for ADCO for $440 plus shipping (let's say $20). Now you have top of the line AR-15 for $565!!! Not bad.

halik
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a plinker a couple of years ago just to see how the cast receivers are.  They are rough in finish, but decent.  I have since had it remanufactured into a forged receiver, but I did abuse the cast receivers a bit to see how much they could take.  They actually held up pretty well.  However, I still wouldn't get another or use a cast receiver of any kind again.  It's just not worth the very small amount of savings.  If you built your own using forged receivers, it would only cost about $50-$100 more and would be far stronger and far better looking than the plinker.  In the end, spending a little bit more for a forged receiver/rifle would be the best option in the long run.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#6]
So.. It is possible to build an AR with little money that would be good for plinking and upgrading when the time comes around.  Are parts interchangeable with other manufacturers?  How much would a full lower cost?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So.. It is possible to build an AR with little money that would be good for plinking and upgrading when the time comes around.  Are parts interchangeable with other manufacturers?  How much would a full lower cost?

Stinger & Mega lowers and Stag Arms lowers are the best deals right now.  I figure around $700 give or take $50 to build from one of these receivers.  That will give you a good basic rifle to learn from and expand upon.  If you're like the rest of us, one just won't do and you'll soon be on another...and the story goes on.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all of the advice. However I think I am going to have to go with a factory rifle. Unless someone is from Anchorage, AK and they wouldnt mind walking me thru this. This is an expensive hobbie, and I would like to have a bit more insight before I jump right in.  I am sure I could assemble a completed lower and upper, but then comes to I am really not sure of  makes and models would best suit me.  Does anyone know anyone in Anchorage?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#9]
SIG,

All you need to do it assemble the lower and the "how to" to assembling the lower is on top of the forumunder "information". All the kits on the market have the upper already assembled and all u have to do it stick in on the lower and push in two pins to secure it. That's all to it, you are ready to shoot!

I'd VERY STRONGLY recommend for you to get the RRA parts kit from ADCO. The price is very close to the economy brand parts kits (model 1 sales, J&T, M&A, etc), but the in quality is night and day. You will not be dissapointed with the RRA kit. They are one of the best brands on the same level like Bushmaster, Colt ,etc...

Here is the link to ADCO kits:

www.adcofirearms.com/rockriver/RRAkits.cfm?page=rra

As to the model and setup it's really up to you. I'd go for flat top A3 that way you can mount optics if you decide to go varmint huting.

halik
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Without the flat top I cannot have optics?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#11]
sig,

technically you can. You can put a weaver bas on the top of the handle and the scope on op of it. But the scope will be very high up (hinders accaracy, you want the scope as close to the barrel as poccible) and the whole setup is not a sturdy as the flat top with greater chance of knocking it out of zero (the weaver base is held in place by a sigle screw)

halik
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:58:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Sig, i felt the very same way you do about 2 months ago. I had only purchased a factory DPMS rifle but was wanting more. SO I said screw it. I ordered 2 Mega Lowers from the EE here and had them shipped to my local shop. Went and did the NICS check and took them home. I then printed out the lower building instructions from the site here and went to work. Literally one hour later i had 2 complete lowers that i had buily myself. As for the upper, you do not have to assemble it yourself. most uppers ordered from say Adco, DMPS, Model 1 Sales , come completely assembled . all you have to do is drop it on the lower and push in the 2 pins, and check functionality. Its EASY to build and now that i know how to , I want to make more... LOTS more........ Good luck with your  builds.

BTW---- I used the Model 1 upper kits. there inexpensive, and built well. www.model1sales.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top