Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2004 4:43:17 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to put an A1 "take off" stock on my Bushmaster XM-15A2... I would like to still be able to keep a GI cleaning kit in the buttstock compartment... How do I keep my trap door buttplate??? I think I've read about people trimming their A2 buttplates to work with an A1 stock - are there A1 buttplates that have a trap door, and would I be able to still stow my GI cleaning kit in there??? Best buy on one???

Thanks in advance,

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The original M16 butt stock is not hollow, and has a solid butt plate glued on.  The A1 butt stock has the same cavity as the A2.  It comes with a trapdoor butt plate, but the newer A2 butt plate also fits.

Make sure you use the shorter screw (not the A2 screw) or else your rifle will short stroke.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup. The later model A-1 Stocks all had butt trapdoors in them. Only the very early ones didn't. As for commercial AR-15s, I never saw one that didn't have the trapdoor, going back to the mid 70's. However I can't say before that time what they might have had. All my commercial Colts have had them, since I bought my first in 1974.

Lonny
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#3]
The A1 buttstocks I have all have the trap door and will readily use the A2 trap doors if you get the later A1 buttstock. When you go to the A1 you will need a top screw that is 5/8" shorter and you will also need a longer bottom screw to secure the rear sling swivel. You will also need to take the spacer out of the A2 stock and leave it off of the A1.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info, gents - it is appreciated... I haven't actually seen the stock, yet - it's supposed to be an M16-A1 take of in VGC - short screw included... I'm not sure if it'll have the sling swivel on it or not -I guess I'll see about that when I get it... I always thought a stock a little shorter than the A2 stock that came with my Bushmaster would fit me better - I'm looking forward to putting one on...

- georgestrings
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top