Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2004 6:24:34 PM EDT
I am going to starting to get parts for a new upper I want to build. I want a 20" free floating barrel. I think I am going with a YHM free float tube. But I am stuck on the barrel. I was thinking of going with a heavy barrel. Am I better off going with a chrome lined barrel or a stainless steel. I would like both accuarcy and relialibility (sp?). I saw a upper on the BravoCompany.com website. A SAM-R upper. That is basically what I want to build. They offer both chrome lined or stainless steel. I will take all of the help I can get. Thanks. eagle308us
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#1]
If it were me, I'd use a gov't profile, chrome-lined barrel.  You'll still get great accuracy out of it, you'll have all the benefits of chrome lining and it would be more pleasant to hump into the backcountry if the need arose.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:35:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the answer M4arc. Do I get any accuarcy benefit from a heavy barrel vs a govt profile.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:53:46 AM EDT
[#3]
HBar vs. Gov.t profile and their accuracy potentials, is an ongoing debate, kinda' like "Tastes great, less filling"  You aren't going to get any definitive answers, just opinions and "in my own experiences"
I believe (opinion) the gain in accuracy from an A2 profile to an HBar profile is negligible.  
1. If I had to carry it, I'd go w/ the A2
2. If I shot it the inherent differences in accuracy would be unnoticeable, as there'd be larger erors in accuracy potential in my shooting ability than the barrel profiles.
3. Unless "extreme" ie. neurotic type accuracy is your goal, in which case I'd imagine your into a completely differnt settup, I'd go chrome.

1 vote for Chrome A2.  Whichever way you go, enjoy.

/S2
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:43:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top