Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2004 1:20:19 PM EDT
I don't know about the rest of you but I've been waiting for a 1:7 twist mid-length barrel for some time now.  I was just over on the EE and I came across this: Mid-length group buy

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I just broke down and bought one of ADCO's RRA Chrome lined mid-lengths turned to an A2 profile. it is a 1/9 twist but this is only going to be a plinking gun so that's fine.

Considering he needs to sell 100 of them to make it happen, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Good luck
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just broke down and bought one of ADCO's RRA Chrome lined mid-lengths turned to an A2 profile. it is a 1/9 twist but this is only going to be a plinking gun so that's fine.

Considering he needs to sell 100 of them to make it happen, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Good luck

Well that's what everyone said about the Bushmaster barrel deal and I still received mine
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Any chance of 4150?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Kevin,
My first preference was 4150, but the only folks I've found who will do that are LMT.  I can put an RFQ together for them, but I would need a little assistance on contours/measurements as they require me to submit a drawing.  Also, their lead time to make something like this happen is like 18 to 20 weeks.  Wasn't sure anyone would be quite so patient.  However, if the general masses would prefer, I can pursue this route.  In addition, the pricing would most likely be ~$100 more and I am unsure of their minimum order quantities as they were not very specific.

Let me know your thoughts and I can work on this.

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Giff,

I am off to Afghan so I have no worries about lead times (unless it is over 6-8 months)

I (and I think) many folk would be interested in LMT midlengths.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am off to Afghan so I have no worries about lead times (unless it is over 6-8 months)

You stay safe man.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm holding out for a lite weight deal, which I haven't seem to see on sale or in a group buy.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm holding out for a lite weight deal, which I haven't seem to see on sale or in a group buy.

I think if enough vote for a lightweight that is what he'll order.  I posted that I'd prefer a lightweight too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well that's what everyone said about the Bushmaster barrel deal and I still received mine

BM wanted a minimum of 200 before they would do that deal and if I remember correctly, they didn't even get 50? You guys just got lucky they they went ahead and did it for those who ordered one anyway. I don't see that happening with this deal.

Quoted:
My first preference was 4150, but the only folks I've found who will do that are LMT. I can put an RFQ together for them, but I would need a little assistance on contours/measurements as they require me to submit a drawing. Also, their lead time to make something like this happen is like 18 to 20 weeks. Wasn't sure anyone would be quite so patient. However, if the general masses would prefer, I can pursue this route. In addition, the pricing would most likely be ~$100 more and I am unsure of their minimum order quantities as they were not very specific.

Let me know your thoughts and I can work on this.

- Now that is something I would be interested in - A LMT made, 4150, chrome lined, 1/7 twist, A2 profiled (light under the handguards) 16" mid-length (pre-ban of course)? Now that's a winner![:t] If you can make that happen then let me know.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Daniel Defense is supposed to be releasing 4150 1/7 twist midlength barreled uppers at some point this year.  I believe they will be Gov't profiled.  However, I am not sure whehter they will sell the barrels separately or only as complete uppers with their railed handguards installed.  I wouldn't be surprised if these are being produced by LMT.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Curiosity just got the best of me:

How much MORE would y'all say a 4150 barrel is worth than a 4140 barrel, all other specs being equal?  $10? $50? $100?  $200?  $300?     Just trying to understand some of the community perceptions on barrel steels.

southern
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Remember I am a guy who bought a RO921 M4A1 - for about a $650 barrel when they were first available...
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

How much MORE would y'all say a 4150 barrel is worth than a 4140 barrel, all other specs being equal?  $10? $50? $100?  $200?  $300?     Just trying to understand some of the community perceptions on barrel steels.

southern

Hum...interesting question!  I'd be willing to pay a little more but not much.  After all, Bushmaster sells 4150 barrels for close to (if not the same as) RRA 4140 barrels and Bushmaster's 1:7 twist M4 uppers are almost $100 less than an LMT upper.  I believe that Bushmaster's barrels are less than Armalites 4140 barrels!

Personally, the difference between 4140 & 4150 is so minor for the majority of us I can't see paying too much extra for a 4150.  Maybe if I had a Class III but I don't.  It's a nice to have type of thing because it's mil-spec (and we all want to be mil-spec) but will I ever be able to tell the difference shooting semi-auto at the local range?  I doubt it.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

southern

I'd say not much more.  Maybe about $25 over what RRA is willing to charge is the most I would pay.  However, if you could match RRA's price or even beat, it I would be all over it in a heartbeat.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#15]
LMT midlength, medium or heavy profile, chrome lined, 4150 would be ideal.
However, I'd be interested in a RRA barrel too.

For those not interested and dont think this will happen, OK. Maybe it wont. Thanks for your thoughts.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
LMT midlength, medium or heavy profile, chrome lined, 4150 would be ideal.
However, I'd be interested in a RRA barrel too.

For those not interested and dont think this will happen, OK. Maybe it wont. Thanks for your thoughts.

Ditto
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not concerned about the 40/50 steel at all.  I will buy the 1st 1/7 mid length chrome lined barrel that I come across that is lightweight.  

Assembled with an upper and one of DD's quad rails would be great.  

Got to be light.  

Also, a minor thing, but why is the bayo lug on all the mid lengths just a little bit farther forward than it needs to be to actually mount a bayo correctly?  
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#18]
LMT 16" mid-length pre-ban, light under the handguards, with a DD 9.0 forend?  Yes please.  I don't care what it costs, it's still cheaper than an MRP.   i'll buy one!  (or two)  

4150-4160 whatever it takes.

Sean
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:14:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
LMT 16" mid-length pre-ban, light under the handguards, with a DD 9.0 forend?  Yes please.  I don't care what it costs, it's still cheaper than an MRP.   i'll buy one!  (or two)  

4150-4160 whatever it takes.

Sean

That would be a sweet setup and would probably be exactly what I build
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top