Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2004 10:22:16 AM EDT
I've owned 3 Colt bolts and I have noticed that all of them have little dents behind each bolt lug.  What are these marks?  Also, I noticed that my third bolt only has these marks behind half of the lugs.  What does that mean?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably from where the bolt lug runs into battery with the barrel extension.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#2]
It looks more like sme kind of intentional mark.  I know I've seen milsurp weapons where metal components are struck to test hardness.  Could it be that's what these marks are?  Does Colt do that?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#3]
They are stress relief cuts, they are supposed to be there. Only actual Mil-Spec (Colt) bolts have them.

Just another step that almost every other manufacturer skips in the machining process.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They are stress relief cuts, they are supposed to be there. Only actual Mil-Spec (Colt) bolts have them.

Just another step that almost every other manufacturer skips in the machining process.

Thanks for the info.  Why would they only stress relieve 4 of the 7 lugs, though?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:34:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm looking at one of my Colt bolts and it has the straight line relief mark behind every lug.  Yet another seems to only have four.  Both of these are marked MPC.  I have a later M4 Colt bolt (MPCK) that doesn't have ANY of the relief marks.  I also have bolts (can't remember if they are Colt or not, but chances are Colt) that have a half moon type relief cut instead of a line mark.  Interesting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top