Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2004 6:06:27 PM EDT
Just looking around for new projects and was wondering what the purpose of the Dissipator barrel set up is?  I just can't figure it out - I guess the only clue I have is that a dissipator must dissipate something...  Heat?  Noise?  Bullets?  Accuracy?  My paycheck?

Thanks!
Spooky
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Compactness of the 16" barrel (carbine gas system) combined with the longer sight radius afforded by the long handguards equals a nice system.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I was curious if the longer gas tube had any advantage/dissadvantage to the carbine version?
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The gas tube on a dissy is actually just a regular carbine tube.  There is a low profile gas block under the handguards and the front sight base is just that, a front sight.  You can cut a 20" down to a dissy configuration, but the gas port would have to be opened up on it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmm thanks,
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never liked the looks of  the Disappointers myself.  A friend of mine shoots one in competition, and it usually doesn't make it through the match without a malfunction or two.  One time his gas block came loose, turning his AR into a single shot.

The one thing I don't really like about the carbines is the lack of real estate on the handguards.  I like my lights mounted at the 6 o'clock position with a vertical grip, and that is almost impossible with a carbine.  Hey, I did say ALMOST!    I've been thinking of a carbine upper for my AR, but putting the DD 9.5 on it for some extra room.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:26:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've been thinking of a carbine upper for my AR, but putting the DD 9.5 on it for some extra room.

That is exactly my current project.  

I like the Dissys for the sight radius.  Have a buddy with one; never had any problems.  I do think they look a little goofy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:35:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a throwback A1 Dissy project in the works.  20" A1 barrel cut down to 16", A1 flash hider, triangle handguards and a slabside A1 upper receiver.  FSB needs some work to get it to mount up to the barrel.  That's all I need left to get it running.  It may need some gas hole work when finished to get it running properly, but I've read that just countersinking the present gas hole improves gas system performance.  I have an Olympic bull barrel and its gas hole is countersunk from the factory.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A friend of mine shoots one in competition, and it usually doesn't make it through the match without a malfunction or two.  One time his gas block came loose, turning his AR into a single shot.

Well, I'd have to imagine that would be more the fault of the parts or the company who made it rather than the design of the Dissy itself.  Several companies make the Dissipator styled uppers.  If it was a home build, a hack job, or a home mod then that would explain the problems as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:58:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
 It may need some gas hole work when finished to get it running properly, but I've read that just countersinking the present gas hole improves gas system performance.  I have an Olympic bull barrel and its gas hole is countersunk from the factory.

Maybe, but it could just be so that it is easier to put the gas block in a position that the gas will be able to get up to the gas tube.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The one thing I don't really like about the carbines is the lack of real estate on the handguards.  

Lack of real estate, The dissipators I have seen are just a 16" carbine barrel with full length "rifle" handguards, maybe I am confused to what you mean, are you talking about the dissipator?

Could a person put a Rifle Quad Rail system in a dissapator? Lots of real estate then!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm all behind the idea of stretching the sight radius with the longer handguard length, but I've always wondered why they use the CAR/M4 position for the gas block.

Since it's under the handguard anyway, why doesn't anybody make a Dissy with the gas block further out like a mid-length carbine?

Yea, and where did they come up with the name anyway?

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Having that long HG also keeps ya from burning your hands or melting your uniform.  I do like the mid-length idea myself.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The one thing I don't really like about the carbines is the lack of real estate on the handguards.  

Lack of real estate, The dissipators I have seen are just a 16" carbine barrel with full length "rifle" handguards, maybe I am confused to what you mean, are you talking about the dissipator?

Could a person put a Rifle Quad Rail system in a dissapator? Lots of real estate then!

I should have made that more clear.  I meant the lack of real estate in standard carbines, not Disappointers.

As for the guy I know that uses one, I don't really know what/who/how it was built.  It could be a FrankenDissy for all I know.  I don't really care enough to ask him about it either....
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:48:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Dissipators suck. They're ugly, they're unreliable, and not very accurate.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yea you're going to need that helmet!

I put a hooded peep match rear sight on my Bushmaster Dissy upper and was getting .75-1.25" ten shot groups at 100 yards shooting prone.  I also never had a malfunction.  Why would they be unreliable any more so than a carbine 16" standard setup???????????  Same gas block setup, just a cosmetic difference.  Now looks, that's in the eye of the beholder  

I have set up several barrels with different rifle length free float tubes on 16" barrels.  They were plenty accurate, and have killed many a groundhog these past few years...
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Then I guess you won't mind sending me your Dissy?  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then I guess you won't mind sending me your Dissy?  

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#18]
any pics of the dissys out there? maybe comparison pics side by side of a dissy and standard carbine m4gery? i like to see what they look like... please..

meat
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Bushmaster

KAC MRE for Scollins

MSTN
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh, what the heck.

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Oh, what the heck.

Huh?  What? Where? I don't see anything....
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Oh, what the heck.

img29.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Guns/camoucr.jpg

Nothing to see here, move along.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:30:02 AM EDT
[#23]
As you can see from this video, Dissi's are very problematic. They dont function well, and are not accurate.

Crappy Dissipator in action.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:20:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Next you'll show us that "crappy" SPRbine thing that's really a semi-dissy design. I really can't stand the things. As soon as my SIR is here, I'll have a hawkeye clone. That's how much I hate them... :>)

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Since it's under the handguard anyway, why doesn't anybody make a Dissy with the gas block further out like a mid-length carbine?

That's what I did, except it has an 18" bbl.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#26]
My #59 SIR is here with me, as is my #40 BUIS. The problem is, I'm in the Persian Gulf, and my BM Dissy is in Washington State. here
I'm building a Hawkeye clone, myself. All I have left is to order the Aimpoint and mount. I won't be painting mine, however.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Hawkeye -

What type of muzzle break/compensator/flash hider do you have on your "invisible" gun?

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:27:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Kurts A3 Brake. Will most likely get replaced with a Vortex after Sept. 13, but, thats still not 100% decided yet.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Hawkeye,

That is a really great looking set up!  I think I have found my Dissipator project...  I bet it will look great with a Vortex on it!  Where's the guy with the count down in his signature line when you need him!
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Back when Bushmaster first started making the dissipator they just cut a hole in the A2 handguards and stuck the carbine front sight up through it.  So it still had a Carbine sight radius.  They said A2 Handguards cooled better than carbine handguards because of the shape of the Aluminum sheilds and the placement of the holes.  Acording to their marketing info the A2 handguards created a clockwise (or conter clockwise I can't remember) air flow that drew heat forward off the chamber area.  Or some such mumbo jumbo.  This is all from memory.  It would be cool to have one of those old BM cataloges.  

I remember in one of the first BM cataloges I ever had they were selling transferable Full Autos for $2500.  NO LIE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top