Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2004 2:05:53 AM EDT
From my limited experience, the MARPAT style camo is far superior to the older styles of camo.  For example, check this link out to Militarymoron's site (hope he doesn't mind.)
www.militarymorons.com/patrol/patrol.4.html
Compare the older style to the new stuff. Amazing! Needless to say I'm upgrading my equipment accordingly.
The pictures look like they were taken in my backyard, and I spend a lot of my time in this type of terrain.
Is there a company that offers professional refinishing that can apply a MARPAT style pattern? I'm looking for something a little more durable then krylon.
I'm also interested to see how this MARPAT pattern holds up during the night in similar terrain.
Is there any way to apply this pattern to nylon and other webbing? Unfortunately, not every manufacturer produces their product in these patterns.
As much as I dislike camo and painted weapons in general, I have to admit the results are amazing for real working equipment -- which is exactly what I'm building. Notice how much the black rifle stands out against the camo.
If you had this camo on, and a Ghillie Suit, you'd have to be careful, people might piss on you.
-Steve
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 3:51:56 AM EDT
[#1]

You are going to cry it looks so good.  Go to www.lauerweaponry.com and get your box of kleenex out.  They use a finish called duracoat.  It sounds pretty awesome.  They will coat your weapon inside and out and claim it acts as a lubricant as well as a protectant.

I don't remember exactly where on the website the pictures are...seems like there is an image gallery tab.  Anyways, they have some pics of the digital in woodlands, desert and urban.  I think they called it mirageflage or something like that.  They all look outstanding.  They have a kit you can buy and do it yourself.  I spoke with them and they said that the kits have templates that you put on your weapon and off you go.

Also check out www.dsarms.com.  They are using the duracoat finishes and they have a couple of good pics of the desert and woodland digital patterns.

I'm not that brave but they do look good.

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is a FAL refinished by Rich at CGW:

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Sweet, I like how it looks all blocky like that, it reminds me of an 80"s arcade game.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks very effective.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

www.centurygunworks.net/highdesertcenpat.gif

That looks awesome!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey Calvert1,
Who is CGW?
Do you have a website?

Thanks,
Sean
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Sweet, I like how it looks all blocky like that, it reminds me of an 80"s arcade game.

it reminds ME of the soviet's 80's camouflage....

david
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#8]
OK that has got to be the best paint job I have ever seen.  That is, if it is paint.  I would not even know how to tackle something like that at all.  Hats off to one great gun!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
it reminds ME of the soviet's 80's camouflage....

david

Makes me think they ran out of all the same color Legos I like it, nice rifle!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Calvert1, Very nice. That's exactly the type of pictures that I've been looking for.
I think it's going to look bad ass on my MRP.
Not to mention, be one of the most effective camo schemes I"ve ever seen.
-Steve
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

www.centurygunworks.net/highdesertcenpat.gif

Thats COOL  
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hey Calvert1,
Who is CGW?
Do you have a website?

Thanks,
Sean

Rich who owns CGW Rocks...He is on the Falfiles and does a fantastic job...you can not go wrong if you want a duracoat camo job....www.centurygunworks.net/

Winter Mar Pat

Desert

Beligan

Rhodie

As you can see you cant go wrong with his work and he's a great guy

Bigant
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#14]
How is the Marpat camo done on a rifle?

I would assume that a template is used...anyone know?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Its all done via Template....you can get the templates and colors from Lauer....

Bigant
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its all done via Template....you can get the templates and colors from Lauer....

Bigant

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Rhodie
www.centurygunworks.net/rhody2L.gif

Bigant

WOW
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Bigant,
Thanks for the link bro.

Sean
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Bigant,
Thanks for the link bro.

Sean

No problem brother! Rich I have never heard of one complaint from one of Rich's customers..he is a real artist and a great smith too!  I also forgot to add that if their is something that you have seen and want it done Rich can most likely do it for you....or a very close variation.  

Now this process is not cheap, so dont be blown away by the qoutes:)

Bigant
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's a M1A in MARPAT

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
First, that is very cool looking indeed, and who ever did the camo job did a fantastic job on it.

Having said that, I want to point out that this camo pattern duplicates most of the earlier mistakes that have been made with most military camo in the past.  Primarily, the patterns are too finely detailed, and all but the desert patterns lack enough contrast.  Even the desert patterns have too little of the light background color and too much "pattern."  This is all due to the tendancy to choose camo based on how it looks up close instead of how it looks from a distance in the real world.

The fact that it is "digital" (i.e., made up of blocks instead of curves) isn't bad necessarily, and if they left a greater percentage (60% or so) of the light background on the desert version and made the patterns much larger, it would really be fantastic.  It would also look "unconventional" and would look "strange" and "ugly" up close.  That would probably not be acceptable to generals and such, and it would be difficult to do cutesy things like hiding the EGA in the pattern.

Too bad.

To date, the best pattern available is the 6-color Desert (aka "chocolate chip") from Gulf War 1.

-Troy

Gee, perhaps you should take some time off this site and consult for the Military

You just gotta love the internet sometimes.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#22]
IIt's not desert, and it's not quite MARPAT, but this is what we have done for our urban setup, and iblends in really well as it is.

http://ethreezero.dynalias.com/paint_job.jpg
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
IIt's not desert, and it's not quite MARPAT, but this is what we have done for our urban setup, and iblends in really well as it is.

ethreezero.dynalias.com/paint_job.jpg

HD rifles of Del Rio, TX?
Would love to have that camo on my Rem700 but the complete camo job is too costly for me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:27:07 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't claim to have any operator experience, but to me, the digital camo appears to my eyes to blend better than the 6 color gulf war 1 stuff. Look at these direct comparisons:
www.militarymorons.com/misc/misc.html#crye
I think the digital camo is ugly as hell up close. I would rather wish that the tiger stripe style worked better. But this isn't the case as shown in the link.
Along with the 5 page series I posted up top show some different lighting contrasts.
Would the digital camo be more effective with more colors? I don't know. I just wish they'd make webbing and pack gear with the pattern pretty soon.
The photo's comparing the camo, I had to check a couple times to make sure the Marpat wasn't actually a rock. It looks like a block of limestone.
I'd like to see how the desert colors blend at night time in the desert though.
I have no opinion on the forest version since I haven't looked into it as much.
Again, this is my uninformed opinion based on pictures. I'll gladly look at more info available.
I can do without the super imposed EGA.
The prices aren't bad if that covers the mounts, scope, some mags, and so on. If not, it could be an expensive project.
-Steve
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Gee, perhaps you should take some time off this site and consult for the Military

You just gotta love the internet sometimes.

I was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the reply and the link Troy.
My only opinion is that taking on camo for desert regions and for forest types should be thought of completely differently. In the desert, there is less of a chance of blending with shrubs and requiring a light pattern to act as back lighting.
With desert designs, you're blending with the ground and surrounding rocks.
I do see your point about breaking up the sillhouette though. While standing up, the impression is, that rock looks like a human. Now, from a prone position, you may take the shape of a rock.
What I'm wondering is choosing webbing and pack gear that is purpously picked in less complicated patterns (such as all tan) would break up the human sillhoette.
Instead of having an entire sillhoette, you'd have a pair of legs, a torso, a head and so on.
Thanks,
-Steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top