Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2004 5:24:56 PM EDT
Please enlighten me as to the numbering convention of the SIR attachable rails.  I have a 1 a 2 for the sides and a 3 for the bottom. The 1 and the 2 are identical?  
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Even if you don't have a manual, it is easy. The 3 and 9 o'clock position provide a track that the 1,2, and #3  rail will first slide into before tightening those captivated via a spring loaded screw. The three standard rails go any where you want them. The 1 & 2 rails can go on the bottom if you wish, the #3 rail on the side, or a 1 rail on one side and the three rail on the other, etc. That is why they call it the Selective Intergrated Rail, system. They also have a #4 rail that is longer than the #3 that will cover virtualy the entire bottom. There is no order that they must go, it is all very modular.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Please enlighten me as to the numbering convention of the SIR attachable rails.  I have a 1 a 2 for the sides and a 3 for the bottom. The 1 and the 2 are identical?  
View Quote

The #1 & #2 rails are identical.

Next in length is the #3 rail, then the #4.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The military do accounting, numbering assists them in all items for inventory.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:55:24 AM EDT
[#4]
if they 1 & 2 are identical, why are they NUmbered 1 and 2?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:35:20 AM EDT
[#5]
SO THEY AND ANYONE ELSE IN THE MILITARY WILL KNOW THEY HAVE ONE AND TWO besides the number #3, ACCOUNTING LIKE I EXPLAINED! FOR INSTANCE, IF THEY ONLY NUMBERED THEM 1 & 3, THEN SOMEONE WOLD SAY HEY WHERE IS NUMBER #2 RAIL!
Jack
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#6]
ok.  but would not #3 would just become #2 and so on...

this all started because when I recieved my SIR the 1 and 2 rails were upside down.  I realize that this does not matter in practice but it raised questions.  Obviously.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Their are currently 3 rail lengths.
1 and 2 are the same length, #3 is a mid length rail, and the #4 rail is the longest.

Should an "acquisitions" type order a full set of rails, 1,2 and 3, and there not be a # in the set it would cause confusion to anyone not intimately familiar w/ the SIR system.
However I also believe the #'s should in one sense indicate the length of the rail, so having 2 the same length could add confusion as well, by causing 1 to think, logically, a #2 rail is longer than a #1.  Letters may be more appropriate.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#8]
If they were upside down, you only had to reverse sides to make you feel better. Maybe you could write to ARMS and let them know that upside down and 1,2,3 are confusing to you:(
How about the numbers being placed facing the end, that way they would never be upside down? Nope, then they wouldn't be on the same end, what a delema"(
Jack
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:28:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

this all started because when I recieved my SIR the 1 and 2 rails were upside down.  I realize that this does not matter in practice but it raised questions.  Obviously.
View Quote

Have you since realized that you can switch them to the opposite sides, and the numbers aren't upside down anymore?

If you have a SIR, can't you tell that other than the numbering, that the #1 & #2 rails are identical?

Here's ARMS website:

[url]www.armsmounts.com[/url]

Contact them through their website, and they'll be able to answer ALL your questions, and you'll have no doubt about the validity of the answers.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#10]
ROMAN NUMERALS, THAT'S THE ANSWER, ROMAN NUMERALS. NOPE, THE NUMBER FOUR RAIL WOULD be CONFUSING WITH A V AND 1")
Jack
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
ROMAN NUMERALS, THAT'S THE ANSWER, ROMAN NUMERALS. NOPE, THE NUMBER FOUR RAIL WOULD be CONFUSING WITH A V AND 1")
Jack
View Quote

You of course mean: an I and a V.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#12]
NOOOO! V 1, to make it confusing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#13]
How about just using hash marks.....

|
||
|||
||||

No wrong side up here....LOL!

IBTL!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top