Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2003 9:18:01 AM EDT
Im looking to get a 16" barrrel.  More specificly a CMMG 16" M4 or or a BM 16" Fluted HBAR.  Both look cool IMO.  From my research I'v found a lot of people say the a fluted barrel cools quicker, and is more accurate than a M4 when it heats up.  But it also weights a little more.  I have no experence with these barrels and wnat to know if the extra weight is worth it.  It's going to be mostly a range weapon, but if SHTF this will be the one I'd use.  I'm also a firm beliver that accuracy is as important as firepower.  Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#1]
My personal experience is as follows:

BM 14.5" fluted HBAR with perm. attached Phantom FS

RRA 16" M4gery with slim profile under HG.

I specifically held them both to see which was lighter, and they're about the same, just different... :)

What I mean is, the M4 was front heavy, but light weight overall, while the fluted HBAR is evenly weighted along the barrel, and the same weight, or maybe even a tad lighter.

Of course, it's not exactly apples to apples, since my fluted HBAR is 1.5" shorter than the 16" M4 I was comparing it to...  

If I were doing it again (which I am) I would still go with the fluted, or even better, turned and fluted by Kurt's Kustom Firearms for the lightest possible barrel without an A2 profile.

Just my $.02 based on my personal hands on observations at the range, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Hello,

According to Kurts chart. The fluted HBAR weights 1.6 oz more than a 16 inch m4 barrel.

That is a very little difference that I believe is worth it for the Fluted barrel.

I am in LOVE with my 16 inch fluted HBAR.

Last week at the range. I loaded up 8 30 rd mags, and set up soda cans, clay targets, and water-filled milk jugs, and proceeded to blast away at them. Aimed fire as fast as I could (1-1.5 rounds per second) for all 8 mags with wolf ammo.

I had no failures at all, and to my suprise the barrel was toasty but hardly hot at all. I could still grab onto it for a couple of seconds. Try doing that with a low profile barrel.

You'll here a lot of praise and an equal amount of criticism about fluted barrels, but my personal experiences is that they are awesome.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow...fast responces.  Thanks for the input.  I was leaning toward the fluted barrel I just needed to hear that I was makeing the right decision form some one else before I spent the money.  It seems almost every one here is M4 happy and i was wondering if i was missing something.  I'm going to order the BM barrel tomarrow.  Thanks again fo rthe input
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Gunsmoke ent. has a fluted M-4 so you can have the best of both  they used to be at www.ar15.tv but I dont know if they still are
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:34:22 AM EDT
[#5]
One more thing before you order...

Take a look at the "mid-length" barrels from Rock River Arms.  Just my personal experience, but they just "look" better than the carbine length handguard/gas system.  And everyone makes mid-length stuff now, so even if you want a SIR, FIRSH, or whatever, you can get one.

[img]http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/ucara4cm.gif[/img]
(it's the one on the bottom, compared to CAR length on top)

I bought my chrome lined 16" mid-length from Pete in NH, but I don't think he has any more.  ADCO appears to according to their website.  Mine's at KKF now getting turned and fluted.  Fluting alone is $55, the barrel from ADCO would be $200, which is roughly the same price as Bushmaster's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top