Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 7:35:27 AM EDT
Well, I'm currently enrolled in the WECSOG program and seeing someone else could do it, I did as well.  

I took a silicone O-ring and crazy glued it (after cleaning ALL oils off that area) to the inside of the charging handle where it meets the rear of the receiver.  I can tell you that of all the things I have done with the gun, this has proved to be the most worthwhile endeavor.  So far it is holding up nicely.  Just a quick note, don't cut the ring until AFTER it is in place.  Trying to maneuver it when it is that small would be a first class bitch!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I can tell you that of all the things I have done with the gun, this has proved to be the most worthwhile endeavor.
View Quote

Okay, so tell us.  Share the knowledge!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Reread above.  It is the gas buster O-ring that keeps the oil and hot gases off your face.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#3]
OOps.  Sorry, pulled an all nighter.  I misread your post.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the primary benefit - gas seal, or impact buffer between the handle & upper when releasing the charging handle to load a round (or both)?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
[size=3][b]Quoted:
Reread above.  It is the gas buster O-ring that keeps the oil and hot gases off your face.[/b][/size=3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Pics?

I'm curious....Have you also tested with a suppressor?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#7]
This thread is worthless without pictures. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Guys, I just got back from a 4.5hr sitting with the dentist.  I'm in a bad way and waiting for the narcotics to take affect.  I'll do pics, but it is just a black silicon o-ring crazy glued in place.  It really keeps the crapola off the face.  I'll get it tested on a suppressed AR this week maybe.  I'll just have to chase up my friend with the REAL M4 select fire, suppressed.  Damn, I'm starting to get a woody thinking about it!  He doesn't have this and when I've shot it I wished he did.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:55:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I have been doing something simular with all of my ARs for the last 5 or 6 years....I have been using RTV Silicon and I spread it in the back of the charging handle (the area where you can see the gap)....I use a plastic knive to get it smooth and flush with the charging handle...Let it dry and if there is any excess, just cut it off with an exacto knife....

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:57:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is a pic, the RTV Silicon is red (only color I could get when I did this gun) but it also comes in black:

[img]http://www.coloradoshooting.org/a4%204.jpg[/img]

Sorry I don't have any pics from the top.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top