Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2003 5:33:48 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone makes a black or green gastube?

I don't think paint would stick to the standard silver one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Won't stick because its "Stainless" steel.
Get a std. one or a few, they're cheap, then send them to Walter Birdsong and have them finished in any color he offers, but I don't know how well the finish will hold up to the heat.  Would be nice on a "concept rifle" though.

/S2
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have painted and KG'd tubes

Seems to hold up well enough
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#3]
The KG is solid on the FA's KB?
Good to hear.  Have any idea, in theory or otherwise, if the KG holds up well how the Birdsong will do?

Thanks, /S2
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:52:51 AM EDT
[#4]
How hot does the gas tube get? I was thinking heat shrink tubing might work. 3M makes a nice variety of the stuff.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:33:24 AM EDT
[#5]
At times, hot enough to "blue" stainless steel, I don't know what range of degrees that phenomenon coincides w/ though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:28:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd just roughen up the surface with some sandpaper, clean it really well, then use high temp paint for exhausts/stoves.

[url=http://www.krylon.com/product/s_product_detail.asp?sgID=S02]Krylon High Temp Paint[/url]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How hot does the gas tube get? I was thinking heat shrink tubing might work. 3M makes a nice variety of the stuff.
View Quote

most definitely too hot for heat shrink.  it'll melt/burn right off.  the hi-temp engine block/oven paint like u pointed out will work (as long as it's matte black).  a matte black paint finish should actually help dissipate heat faster than a stainless finish.
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Close to 900 degrees and more like the barrel does on full auto.
Jack
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#9]
SULACO2,
I think that since it does not get bumped or banged while hot has a lot to do with that.  I have a KG'd 20" barrel on my MRS rifle and it has very visible scrathes and dings.

Kevin
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#10]
"How hot does the gas tube get? I was thinking heat shrink tubing might work. 3M makes a nice variety of the stuff. "

They can get over 1000degrees and I really think painting is a bad idea (it may reduce cooling), If I were to paint one I would have it coated with a thermal dissipation coating (one of those coatings that helps speed cooling).
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#11]
In theory anything that increases surface area will increase cooling.

As far as the paranoia people have with heat -- IF I am in a situation where I have to heat my carbine/rifle/LMG etc to a point where I am damaging things - odd are I am not doing so well either
and will be not so worried about suffering the effects of having to reimburse the crown (or in your case the US Gov't) for the effects of my wanton lead spilling.

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Close to 900 degrees and more like the barrel does on full auto.
Jack
View Quote

Thanks, Jack.

Quoted:

...I think that since it does not get bumped or banged while hot has a lot to do with that.  I have a KG'd 20" barrel on my MRS rifle and it has very visible scrathes and dings...
View Quote

Ahh, good point, thanks Kevin.

Think the Birdsong will do well?  No experience with Birdsong and stainless or at high temp.s any ideas.

TIA, /S2
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I have zero experience with the Birdsong for those applications (does fine on my BHP though...)
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:53:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I have an HK91 finished in Birdsong's Green-T.  The barrel has turned a little brownish under the handguard, but no effect is visible on the forward portion of the barrel.  The finish is totally intact otherwise.  I think the black would hold up on a gas tube.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Use Dupli-Color Hi Temp engine enamel available from you local auto supply store at about $4. This stuff is good for 1500F and above. I have used it on mags. etc and it holds up great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top