Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2003 3:01:16 AM EDT
I am thinking of installing a SIR system on my 14.5" M4. Is the #58 military version difficult to install without a gunsmith? How difficult is it to remove the delta ring and barrel? Sorry for the newbie question :)

By the way, is there an instructional site that shows how to install the military SIRs? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:04:12 AM EDT
[#1]
If you don't mind destroying your delta ring, it's not too hard.  You can just cut it off with a Dremel tool[;)]  If you ever need to put one back on, then go through the trouble of removing the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:17:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:04:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Its not hard at all to cut off the Delta ring, and the front handguard cap. Just have to be aware of what your doing so as to not hit the barrel, receiver, or gas tube. Wont take more than a few minutes. After that, installing the SIR itself is a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:08:09 AM EDT
[#4]
The only "military" SIR system I've handled was the ones received and mounted by one of the Ranger units a couple of years ago and it was the C-version.  There is no advantage I'm aware of in the M-version.  I had one of these on my personal M4 for quite a while -- long enough to know it wasn't helping me at all because I don't need to mount all that "stuff" that the young soldiers do.  The only special tool you need too install the C-version is a penny.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow! Never thought that "removing" actually meant cutting off the delta ring. In this case, I think I'm better off with the commercial version SIR.

How about the Knight's URX? Is it out yet? Is there somewhere I can read about it? Thanks and happy holidays :)
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#6]
You don't have to cut the delta ring off, but that's the only way to get it off w/o removing the barrel.  Most people have the tools to cut it off, but not the tools to remove & reinstall the barrel.

I don't think the URX is available yet.  Do a search here though and you should turn up plenty of threads on it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I've read posts about SIRS in U.S. military service for awhile. Can somone post a picture of U.S. soldier with a SIR? I'll be damed if I can find one.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've read posts about SIRS in U.S. military service for awhile. Can somone post a picture of U.S. soldier with a SIR? I'll be damed if I can find one.
View Quote

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Aren't they supposedly everywhere in the military?  At least according to 3rdtk.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#10]
dgo7
  Stick with the SIR you wont regret it , if you are going to spend that much cash on what amounts to a cosmetic features stick with the SIR , 5 minutes and its on/off .
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't like to be mis quoted, so for anyones info. I said the military have some in service.
From what little I and others have heard, they, they are performing very well. There have been some pic's of them in civi clothed gentlemen guarding the new pres. of Afganistan.
With time there will no doubt be more as they are released. Someone on here also just showed Philipino SF with SIR's. You have another gentelman on here saying he saw them with Rangers. So there is no question that they are out there in service.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#12]
FWIW, if I had to mine over again I would have used the civilian model. Less a pain in the butt is my opinion.

YMMV

Danny
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I installed the #58 on this Armalite SOF(mid length)and love it.  The Delta ring etc. was easily cut off by me with a great degree of care using a hack saw blade cut in half and held in my hand for better control.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=19739[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=19995[/img]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I prefer the M versions (#50 here)to as they are more stream lined, don't have a useless delta ring sticking out, couple of oz of wt. gone.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll also chime in for the C version!  I really like the SIR 58-MOD but I'm taking a wait and see approach and hopefully a C version will come which will allow the delta ring and handguard cap to remain intact.

ARMS could also release an add-on forend/handguard for the SIR 46/50 that will give it the extra real estate like the 58-MOD[:D]...

I currently only have one AR, I'll be getting my second one in 2004, so being versitile is important to me.  I don't want to be stuck with certain system and be unable to easily upgrade or change my config when something better comes down the pipe.  Just my 2 cents...
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Like Yojimbo, I think I will stick with the C version. I don't want to cut the delta ring on my very first M4. Maybe on the next one....

By the way, green18, is that a Thermold mag you have? How does it perform? Is it good? I've also read that they don't take heat as much as the Israel Orlites. What's your experience with them? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#17]
The Thurmolds work well, but it has been reported that in prolonged storage near heat they tend to expand and may not feed.
Jack
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top