Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2003 7:25:25 AM EDT
I would like to purchase an AR-15, either a flat top or one with detachable carry handle.  I plan on mounting a scope on the firearm, and am hoping that the firearm will shooot 3/4-1MOA out to 300 yards off a solid rest.  I have very limited experience with AR-15's, having put a couple hundred rounds through a friends a2 Bushmaster.  From information I've gotten here, I'm leaning towards a firearm from either Rock River or Bushmaster.  I'd like to hear your recommendations on chrome-lined versus non lined, twist rate, barrel length, etc., based on your personal experiences.  Also, give me your thoughts on optics and mounts.  Firearm will primarilly be used for plinking and perhaps an occasional coyote hunt.  Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:58:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I went with a RRA Varminter with 18" barrel.  TheRicker was right about weight, my rifle is freakin HEAVY.  I can't imagine what those with the 24-inchers weigh.
Having only used "standard" triggers on AR's before, the NM trigger is excellent.
For the scope setup, I went with the Armalite 1-piece scope mount and a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x50 .  Both are working out just fine.  I think I might get a higher power Loopy sometime down the road (I need to make up for my lack of skillz[BD])
Right now, I'm easily getting MOA with XM193 and better than that with 75grn Hornady match reloads at 100 yards.  
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=16672[/img]

CHRIS
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#3]
The RRA Varmnter is easily .25 moa accurate with good handloads.  You will not be disappointed.  Mine has performed flawlessly and is still as accurate as ever after 2500 rounds.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy from RRA again.

As far as optics are concerned?  I have a Simmons 6.5-20X scope, but I am saving for something that is of higher quality.  Right now I've got the choices down to Weaver, Bushnell, Nikon, and Leupold.  Those four brands always seem to get good reviews here, so I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm more than happy with mine...

Fulton Flattop upper with 20" Kieger C/M HBAR 1:7.5 twist.

Under .75 MOA for first 100 rounds.  Now with around 200 thru it, it's shooting beyond my capabilities.  I shot a 1.15 group (5 shot) at 300 yards on Wednesday.  This is with Remanufactured 75 grain Hornady Match.

I use it for Coyote/Varmints/Paper etc...I really like the weight of this set up as it's not too much.  I would spend the money on a great barrel.

Clint at Fulton is great, and easily accessible.  Exceeded my expectations!

I have a Luppy 4.5-14x40 Tactical on mine.  Low power is essential for Dogs and the higher power is perfect for most varmints and paper.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#5]
DPMS makes some nice uppers (I like the way their 24in fluted heavy panther looks.) I have handled them but never shot one.

But I have experience with RRA uppers and those barrels are precision accurate (1/4in 100yd groups are the norm.). You can't go wrong with RRA.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#6]
i like what im hearing about rra's accuracy .
i have a 24" but havn't shot it yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top