Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2003 7:28:51 PM EDT
Anyone have experience with the Bushmaster 16" lightweight barrel.

Did you notice a loss of accuracy over time? How about reliability from the gas system?

I appreciate any information as I'm thinking of rebuilding my action rifle gun.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one on my designated riflemen's weapon. I'm almost tempted to replace my stock M-4 with the new lighter profile barrel on my pre-ban.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=14782[/img]

The weight of the barrel hasn't anything to do with the accuracy of the barrel - just like the length doesn't.

What will happen is that the barrel will heat up quicker - but cool down quicker. The rifle is equal to the mission able to ring my 12" rifle gong at any distance that I can see it! On my rifle there is a marginal amount of rise as the barrel heats up.

Running twenty rounds a minute thought the things heats the thing up pretty quickly and it's point of impact rise about 2.5" higher than normal. All all aspects of combat there is no fancy gear substitute for knowing your weapon and its preformance.

There are better barrels for varmint hunting or dedicated target rifles. These barrels are meant for patrol - for "social" work. Newton's law of mass applies to rifles too - these things are quicker to point and handle.

The gas system is dead nutz stock so it's as reliably as any other.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:30:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, Paul really nailed it with that reply!  I'm saving it for when the next guy asks that question!

Okay, that was a cheesy +1, I'll add a pic to make this more legit.  I used that barrel on a home built plinker.  The whole rifle is lightweight and is a joy to carry around, shooting here and there.  It's not something I would use with a Beta CMag on zombie hordes or competition shooting, though it's just as accurate as long as I let it cool as it heats up quick, but cools quick.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=17021[/img]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:35:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I completely disagree!

No, I'm just kidding.  Paul nailed it, definately.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top