Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2003 7:57:40 PM EDT
I was looking at the M4 16" 1/7 twist chrome lined barrels from CMMG, and am wondering if anyone has bought any of these, and what your experience is with it?

I really want a 16" 1/7 barrel, don't want to pay $400 for a new Colt barrel, and the Bushmaster order doesn't look like it'll make the 200 barrels needed...so, I was looking around the site here and saw mention of the CMMG barrel, which looks alright.

So?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:11:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple of the 14.5" 1:7 twist barrels from [url=www.cmmginc.com]CMMG[/url] and they're great!  The only downside is the cast front sight so you'll have to decide if that's important to you.  I had one of mine replaced with a forged unit and I left the other one alone.

Here's a couples threads by Yojimbo you should check out: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=164401[/url]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=162739[/url]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the links.  Who did the cast front sight assy for you? Cost?

Looks like I may skip the unlikely Bushmaster production run and go with the CMMG barrel.

Bushmaster, you're behind the curve AGAIN.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:28:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Those are great barrels. Buddy of mine shot yesterday consistently 1.5- 2 MOA groups to 300 meters- with iron sights (ARMS #40). Ammo was SA surplus.
He is very happy man.

MN
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:10:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks for the links.  Who did the cast front sight assy for you? Cost?

Looks like I may skip the unlikely Bushmaster production run and go with the CMMG barrel.

Bushmaster, you're behind the curve AGAIN.
View Quote

[url=www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com]Kurt[/url] did mine for $35 but I believe [url=www.adcofirearms.com]Steve @ ADCO[/url] does it too.  Either or, both are outstanding guys that do incredible work.

Please don't give up on the Bushmaster Special Run.  Jarrod extended the period until the end of February and I believe we're going to meet that number after the holidays are over.  Please are just apprehensive about spending the money so close to Christmas.  I have one on order and I'm going to order one more just to set aside for later.

However, if you can't wait (and I certainly understand) then you will be very happy with the CMMG/DPMS barrel.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I actually need 2 barrels - one to replace a Colt 16" M4 1/9 I have, because I've discovered that it isn't chrome lined. So I need a replacement for that, plus a spare.

If I get one from CMMG, I might put one on the Bushmaster order, since I'll have one to shoot anyways. The second is a spare, because I see efforts to ban "assault weapon" parts sales looming. Yeah, a barrel might last me 10+ years, but I've got 20-30 years of shooting still in me :)

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for those who can, to get parts and barrels to hold, in anticipation of being screwed over by the pols.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Doesn't CMMG make the barrels for Colt??
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Doesn't CMMG make the barrels for Colt??
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Actually DMPS makes the barrels that CMMG sells.  For some reason DPMS doesn't sell chrome-lined barrels but instead let's CMMG sell them.  Works for me because I really like Jeff & John so I'm happy to give them my business.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Another positive vote for the CMMG/DPMS barrels, though mine is 14.5".  No problems thus far, CMMG guys are great to deal with.  If you want a true M4 barrel, this is really the only option at this time, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have both the CMMG and Bushmaster 14.5", 1/7's and, except for the FSB on the DPMS, they are pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:34:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for the kind words guys.  We now have in stock CMMG marked barrels.  They are stamped:

CMMG MPC 5.56 NATO 1/7

and are of course chrome lined.

Jeff
View Quote

HEY!!!

Mine aren't stamped with CMMG!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I see someone already hot linked my posts...[:D]

Here's my 16", 1/7 CMMG upper, it has functioned flawlessly for me since day one!  Also, as the other have mentioned Jeff and John at CMMG are great guys and have excellent service and fast shipping to boot!

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/061237-big.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a big thumbs up for CMMG on their barrels, and their great service !!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Here's my 16", 1/7 CMMG upper, it has functioned flawlessly for me since day one!  Also, as the other have mentioned Jeff and John at CMMG are great guys and have excellent service and fast shipping to boot!

[url]http://www.hunt101.com/img/061237-big.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Sorry Yojimbo, I hope you don't mind. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[url]http://www.hunt101.com/img/061237-big.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Sorry Yojimbo, I hope you don't mind. [:D]
View Quote

No, not at all, that's why I posted it![:D][beer]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#17]
i got one from jeff at cmmg, i cant say how satisfied i am with its performance and quality of the 16" 1:7 upper. i wish it came with a forged front sight though.. the only problem i had was when i used some of that shitty spanish ss109 surplus ammo. not a problem related with the upper just shitty ammo. and by the way great customer service and a pleasure to deal with ,especially jeff at cmmg and buy some quick clot from cmmg just in case you are so happy with the purchase of the upper that you start to hemorage!
                 meat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top