Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2003 7:53:05 AM EDT
I have a Bushmaster with a 16" chrome plated HBAR.  Lately i've seen alot of ar's with the M4 contour barrel which, as far as I know is a light coutour barrel.  I was always told that a heavy barrel is going to be more accurate than a light one.  So why are these M4 style barrels so popular?  Which are really more accurate?

Steve
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#1]
The M4s are popular because they're a half-pound lighter than the HBAR.  (And because of the "it's what the Army uses" cool factor.)  They're approx. .63" instead of .9" under the handguards, which is a fair amount less metal.  From the sight base forward they're the same except for the notch.  

The HBAR will probably hold onto its accuracy a little longer as it gets hot, but for slow fire at carbine distances I doubt you'd notice the difference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top