annone have any experience with these new uppers
from olympic arms in .223 or .243 wssm. wonder
what kind of ballistics will come from that much
powder behind a 55gr nosler bt in .223. thanks
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:14:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been in email contact with Oly and they claim the .223 WSSM is shipping to distributors as we speak. They hope to have the .243 WSSM shipping in the next two weeks.

Here is the really interesting news...

They are planning a .308 WSSM style cartridge that will work on a standard AR15 platform. No need for the AR10 and it's weight. .308 ballistics out of my little carbine, now that speaks to me! [:D]

Bob

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a  couple of contacts at Olympic, I'll se what I can find out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:34:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Her's a novel thought.... go to their web site and look for your selves!

The 223 units are shipping now, as are the 243 (call and ask them, it's a toll free call!!!).

They are also planning a 7mm version in addition to the 300, and eventually there is talk of a 25 caliber as well.

This is truly innovative though, being able to shoot .308 balisitcs or better from a 223 platform is a major step in the right direction.

As far as balistics, go the the Oly sight, they have links to Winchesters published results.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:04:08 AM EDT
[#5]
In the New For 2004 Issue of Guns and Ammo, there is a small article about Winchester planning to introduce a .25 WSSM next year in 85, 115, and 120 grain loadings.  It is projected to duplicate .25-06 ballistics with much less powder and perceived recoil.  I believe this will be the better of the WSSM line because it won't be quite so overbore.  Slower barrel wear is important to me in a semi-auto.  I believe .264 and .277 caliber bullets should also be great in the WSSM case.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#6]
.308 ballistics in an AR-15 platform?  The list continues to grow.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#7]
winchester and olyarms can say whatever they want. i would like to hear from actual users
about barrel wear,ballistics and accuracy.

also had an email frm iowa veterans group that
claims to have approached Target (stores) for
some possible donation support and Target said
that vets dont meet their criteria.Turned away
the Marines toys for tots also.wondr if anyone
else has heard anthing along these lines.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 4:43:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In the New For 2004 Issue of Guns and Ammo, there is a small article about Winchester planning to introduce a .25 WSSM next year in 85, 115, and 120 grain loadings.  It is projected to duplicate .25-06 ballistics with much less powder and perceived recoil.  I believe this will be the better of the WSSM line because it won't be quite so overbore.

[red]I believe .264[/red]
View Quote

that's hat I'm hoping to see, a 6.5mm WSM or maybe even WSSM or RSAUM
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well it isn't exactly what you are looking for, but it was also mentioned in the magazine that Remington will reintroduce the 6.5mm Rem Mag in 2004.  It is a .264 caliber in a relatively short and fat case.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:35:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
winchester and olyarms can say whatever they want. i would like to hear from actual users
about barrel wear,ballistics and accuracy.
View Quote

Why not call Oly and talk to the sales rep or the gunsmith. If you can get ahold of Steve, he won't blow any smoke your way.

But if this helps, I have seen the Oly PCR-8MAG fired through a chrony. The rifle ws the 223 WSSM, and the load was a factory 55 grain fodder. The rifle produced the same velocities that Winchster advertisies which is about 3,740 if memory serves. Accuracy was more than adequate producing half inch or so at 100 yards.

I have a friend that is a writer, and get to see him test products frequently.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Well it isn't exactly what you are looking for, but it was also mentioned in the magazine that Remington will reintroduce the 6.5mm Rem Mag in 2004.  It is a .264 caliber in a relatively short and fat case.
View Quote

yeah I read that, I suspected they would after the .350RemMag came back last year

I'd prefer a belt-less case though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top