Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2003 7:56:41 PM EDT
I was wondering if a light profile barrel can be fluted, or would that cause unintended disasterous consequences? Thanks for your feedback.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would you want to, it's already lightweight?  Fluting is best for heavy barrels that you want to lighten, or to have a barrel that's a little heavier and stiffer, but with a weight closer to light.  It's best to treat flutes as fins on a barrel.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Only H-Bar's or medium-weight barrels can be fluted.

Vietnam-era "pencil" barrels and 16" carbine "superlight" barrels are as skinny as they can get and still safely handle the pressure that a 5.56 creates. Cutting flutes into these barrels would be dangerous.

The same is true of 20" A2 profile and M4 barrels under the hand-guards; although, I have heard someone propose fluting a 20" A2 barrel IN FRONT OF the hand guards.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the comments. I'm just looking to shave ozs where I can.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:19:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Look at BM's Carbon-15 Ar's  they have a special fluting that reduces about 1.5OZ that can be applied to pencil barrels.

Not that the 1.5OZ is worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top