Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2003 5:32:48 PM EDT
Well here it is and I have to say its nicer than I expected. The fit and finish is nice, but the finish comes off if you try hard enough. I swithched the locking pin which was easy (2 hits and the pin was gone) replaced it with a locking pin/spring from a RRA stock. I have to admit I see nothing that would make me want to spend $500 on a real one. You have to take the stock off to get to your spare batts(designer was on crack)Well im happy with it. IMO the vtor is just as good if not better. If the vtor was as long as the Crane and didnt have all them holes it would be perfect.I have to admit this stock just looks COOL!! and im very happy with it, but then again looks aren't everything.
      FREE

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice rifle.

I like the 20rd mag, I should do that (keeps the gun from tipping over on the bi-pod)

If you have a VLTOR tube try it out on your ACOG equipped gun set to position 2(the fifth position Colt's tube doesn't have) it is perfect for me anyway. I really like the Vltor tube. (by the way in a snafu I actually mistakenly shipped my two $80 Colt tubes instead of Vltor tubes and even though I switched a $80 tube for a $30 tube I was happy with the change Colt's price comes from a 4-letter word that starts with C.

If you have a dremel tool and cut off the tabs that lock the battery caps on and glue the tubes into the stock it will be just like Vltor (access without removeing the stock).  I haven't really gotten around to ever using the battery tubes my ar's are always on the heavy side to begin with and I really think that it might take some creative thinking to actually figure out how to load the tubes so they don't allow batteries to rattle. (maybe a couple of springs would work?- I could probably glue the springs in (to keep them from coming out with the batteries) and they would keep batteries from rattleing around without the perfect combination of batteries and foam.

[b]The Crane stock is tight fitting and has a good cheek weld and closed buttpad (that's enough features for me to like them)[/b]

Oh and believe me when you spend $550 for one and open the package, melodramatic is the operative word, it's a good stock but for $550-$650 it should include a StarWars style invisible bubble bullet deflector shield for the buyer or something.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:29:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Where'd you get yours at?

I've been thinking about epoxying one onto a buffer tube and giving my postban a new look.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:07:14 AM EDT
[#3]
What is a "Crane reproduction stock"? Does that mean Airsoft?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:46:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Not to change the subject, but what gas block are you using?

20" barrel...correct?

Nice setup!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:53:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll stick with the Vltor.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:56:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:23:12 AM EDT
[#7]
lol Green0 that sucks, but I didn't get yer Colt tube, I like the 5 position Vltor tubes better too.
Free's rifle looks just like mine, but I'm putting a 14.5" barrel on it for use as another short range rifle...it'd be much easier and cheaper to get optics for this second SPR clone though.
[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/pd7ce5c59541ca842958ba8f872442b6f/fa780899.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#8]
FREEFALLE6, your comparing a real Crane to an airsoft? I've handled an airsoft replica. The real Crane is a far better built stock than the airsoft replica I handled. Its like comparing apples to oranges.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#9]
One more stupid question...

Is the barrel a 20" or 18"?

Thx
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#10]
It's not an airsoft stock and I currently own both, the real stock is not as tight fitting, but otherwise I like the materials better, but for the value difference I really hope someone like you buys my real one for $500 (it's a very good deal for a genuine Crane stock.)

Yeah I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I handle the genuine Crane product (and think about the guys these are issued to and what they are doing) but I also get a warm fuzzy feeling when I have $400 extra dollars in my pocket.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#11]
18"
 FREE

Quoted:
One more stupid question...

Is the barrel a 20" or 18"?

Thx
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks and yes I will be modding my stock this weekend. and be happy about the $400 I saved. well my Vtor is in its box I will put it on my next AR project.
    FREE

Quoted:
Nice rifle.

I like the 20rd mag, I should do that (keeps the gun from tipping over on the bi-pod)

If you have a VLTOR tube try it out on your ACOG equipped gun set to position 2(the fifth position Colt's tube doesn't have) it is perfect for me anyway. I really like the Vltor tube. (by the way in a snafu I actually mistakenly shipped my two $80 Colt tubes instead of Vltor tubes and even though I switched a $80 tube for a $30 tube I was happy with the change Colt's price comes from a 4-letter word that starts with C.

If you have a dremel tool and cut off the tabs that lock the battery caps on and glue the tubes into the stock it will be just like Vltor (access without removeing the stock).  I haven't really gotten around to ever using the battery tubes my ar's are always on the heavy side to begin with and I really think that it might take some creative thinking to actually figure out how to load the tubes so they don't allow batteries to rattle. (maybe a couple of springs would work?- I could probably glue the springs in (to keep them from coming out with the batteries) and they would keep batteries from rattleing around without the perfect combination of batteries and foam.

[b]The Crane stock is tight fitting and has a good cheek weld and closed buttpad (that's enough features for me to like them)[/b]

Oh and believe me when you spend $550 for one and open the package, melodramatic is the operative word, it's a good stock but for $550-$650 it should include a StarWars style invisible bubble bullet deflector shield for the buyer or something.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Where is the "reproduction Crane stock" manufactured? Is it made in Hong Kong?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#14]
The stock is made using molds I financed, specifically for use with Nylon 66 a stronger plastic than that used by airsoft manufacturers (airsoft manufacturers are using ABS, their stocks may fit Colt tubes but the material may also break down when solvents come in contact and sit on the stock) These are produced in Japan. I had them built out of the country because I know that the company overseas is responsible and Crane would have to pursue a overseas lawsuit which they would probably loose more money on than gain.  The company that I contracted with makes lots of reproduced products and isn't worried about legal issues. The way I see it if Crane really cared about the money they would be turning them out right now for the civilian market.  

I here LMT is going to make a license built copy soon for about $150 a stock these would probably be nicer than mine, maybe they would use that velvety resin that the original was made out of and have the sticky rubber buttpad, then again they claim to be improved, and maybe all that means is re-styled enough to get around contract aggreements, which would mean another Vltor.

[b]By the way I was thinking about the battery tube issue and sent an IM something along the lines of this to FREEFALLE6 :

If you :
Glue (epoxy) the tubes in place

Grind the tabs off the battery caps

drill holes in the battery caps (not through the cap but through the grip part)

550 cord the caps to either each other or the lanyard hole/s on the stock (up front next to the battery caps)

You would have the advantages of the Vltor tethered easilly accessible tubes while re-taining the positive features of the Crane style settup (like the longer cheek pad and closed buttplate.)

I might do it to mine now that I have that earplug idea, it sounds very workable. (Who knows maybe the tubes do have real utility?)[/b]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I got half a case through it this weekend with no problems (locking pin & spring also replaced with RRA).  

I put it on the 6920 for 300rds and then a R6340 (9mm) for roughly 200rds.  
[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/kisara/FREEFALLLLLLLLE.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:40:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Holy smokes, Kisara you need a few more AR15s! [rofl], looks like I have some catching up to do..
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:48:21 AM EDT
[#17]
No, that was from Saturday's class.  Notice one Mini-14.

[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/kisara/Geronimooooooo.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top