Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2003 11:04:32 AM EDT
Just wondering if there are any specific markings that I can look for to make sure the upper is the what the seller says they are.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Colt is the only manufacturer that marks all their parts.  Bushmaster and RRA have the forging marks but they will not identify either is Bushy or Ra-Ra.  Bushmaster uppers will have a sparyed on coating to help protect/lube the upper when new.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
what the seller says they are.
View Quote

Nope, just the forging contractor.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#3]
If so then what are the forging marks to look for?  specifically Bushmaster upper.

Also is there marking on bolt carrier group that can ID it as Bush?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#4]
There was a nice thread about the different mfg's forging marks, but I'll be damned if I can find it...

Although I know my Bushmaster 16" M4 flattop upper has a "keyhole" forging mark from [url=cerrofabricated.com/products_firearm.htm] Cerro Fabricated Products [/url]

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If so then what are the forging marks to look for?  specifically Bushmaster upper.
View Quote

The only thing separating Bushmaster uppers from other uppers is the extra protective coating/lube that they place on their uppers.  They use the same original forgings as most major manufacturers use.

Also is there marking on bolt carrier group that can ID it as Bush?  Thanks.
View Quote

As I said, Colt is the only manufacturer that stamps all it's components.  The only thing you can "definitely" identify as Bushmaster is the lower and the barrel (even that can be duplicated/forged)
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#6]
My Armalite upper has a circle with a cross hair and the letters "AR" as part of the forging.

Good Shooting
Red
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is a wonderful site where you can learn all about the production of your AR.

[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/[/url]

I found out via this site that my new in the box Colt LE6920 has a Colt lower, barrel, bolt/carrier. A Diemaco upper, and a Bushmaster carry handle. Boy was I surprised. And my rifle was new in the box from an LE distributor. It seems that many of the companies that produce ARs have inter-corporate contracts for the forgings they use to make their rifles.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I doubt your carry handle was made by Bushmaster.  Much more likely that it was made by Colt from a raw forging made by the same place that Bushmaster gets some of theirs from.  I doubt Colt would have BM do the machining, especially since the heights are different.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#9]
On early Colt manufacture stuff, the Bigger Hammer website has some fine info.  For anything made in the last 10-15 years, forget it. Half the listings are incorrect, and you can't tell which half is which[:D]

It's true that Colt and Diemaco interchange parts w/each other, but the only marking on the handle should be a forge mark, possibly the funky looking "A" (actually AH, for Anchor Harvey).  Everybody, incluiding Colt, has used Anchor Harvey forgings at on time or another in the past few years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top