Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2003 8:26:23 PM EDT
At a Wisconsin gunshow I saw a Colt AR15A2 Government Model for $1,300.

Here are the details:
- 95% condition;
- correct R6520 features, including factory staked/painted collapsable stock and bayo lug;
- correct bbl markings;
- GCxxxxx.. serial number; and
- AR15A2 Government Carbine stampings on receiver (with no LEO markings).

But for $1,300??  I'm wondering what the catch was.

I didn't remember the SN, but is it possible this was a postban LEO without the markings?

This rifle was at a table with a couple preban Colts, so I'm presuming these guys know what they're worth.

I always thought that these things were $1,800-2,000+.

Wonder what gives here....

I'd be very surprised if this were a true bargain.  Mainly because I've never seen a "bargain" at local gunshows.

FWIW, I bought a "poor man's R6520" (Colt R6530) for $1,300 about 3 years ago and thought I was getting a decent deal.  So I know something about Colt's and their model line.

Any info or thoughts would be appreciated.

EDITED to correct typo -- it's R6520, not R5620....
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 10:10:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 4:59:01 AM EDT
[#2]
This was right next to an LEO rifles, not the preban rifles.  Is it possible that this in a post-9/14/94 rifle without the LEO stamp?

I wish I would have gotten the SN, but I suspect that this was an LEO postban rifle.

Are there any Govt Carbines like this floating around?

Thanks!

Corey
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:53:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Some Gov't Carbines were not marked for law enforcement right after the ban. The serial # has to be GC018500 or under. There were quite a few in civilian hands that were over serial # 18500 & they are illegal (banned) weapons, some people were trying to dump them cheap selling them as "preban". The average guy thought he got a great deal until they check the #'s.
If the rifle above was in good condition with proper markings & serial #, it was worth every penny of $1300.00. I have 2 NIB Preban Colt Gov't carbines & I paid over $2500.00 ea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top