Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2003 10:22:25 AM EDT
Alright, simple question:  If you could legally put a collapsible stock on your rifle, what type would you install?  I'll leave this an open ended question, i.e. take into account price if you want or don't want, aesthetics, comfort, etc.  Just curious to see the opinions of everyone here!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Magpul, consistent cheek weld that never moves.  And it is the most expensive and therefore the bestest stock for a hypothetical question.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a Magpull stock, but I do like my Vltor.  Excellent quality and utility, and just like the Magpull stock there are on-going development to make them better still, what we're seeing today is but the beginning.  I like the nice touches, one of them being the extra leverage built into the release lever that makes pulling the stock off the buffer extension SO much easier.  Unlike with the Crane which forces you to take the stock off to access the goodies you stored in the tubes, also you got to line up the tubes or they'd go in crooked, Vltor has none of these issues.
[img]home.earthlink.net/~whitman/ACCESSORIES.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Had both a VLTOR and Magpul installed on my rifle.  The Magpul is worth the extra cost.  Its more adjustable, has a better cheek weld and makes the VLTOR feel like a loose rattle trap in comparison.

The tubes for batteries are a MAJOR pain in the butt on the VLTOR and the KAC QD sling swivel can get caught up with the stock release lever and not let you adjust the stock till you pull the sling swivel out of the way.  After the cheek weld of the Magpul I cant go back to the cold metal tube of a VLTOR.  

I prefer the reciever sling mounts for the Magpul to anything out there for a standard collapsable stock and I can keep an extra rail panel to swap with my M900 on my stock with the rail bolted to the side.  The VLTOR also lacks the option to have preset detents to pull the stock to the exact position you want like the Magpul.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I pick the VLTOR because I like the feel of the standard and it is in my price range.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Vltor.

Like that fact that I have it packed with Surefire and Aimpoint batteries.

Check weld rocks, and helps with one arm drills.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#7]
CAR & M4. I'm sticking with one of each.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the CAR stocks myself.  I can't see myself spending that much money on a stock that doesn't even include the buffer/spring/tube.  Although I did get to try a Vltor stock, and it does have a really good cheek weld.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#9]
The Magpul looks very promising especially when they come out with the add-ons for them. I will say I like my Vltor over the CAR and M4 stocks.I haven't tried the Magpul so I can't comment on that.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:11:34 AM EDT
[#10]
The Vltor stock is the way to go, especially with the new longer storage tubes.

Another feature people don't realize, is that a Rifle Modstock will fit a carbine buffertube! So, for a little more then $200, you can have both a carbine and rifle Modstock, especially when using multiple uppers, such as SPR and M4.

Great product and excellent customer service.

ls
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:22:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:43:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:05:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd spend the $100-$200 I saved over the more specialty stocks and use it for mags, ammo, optics, or [b]training.[/b]
View Quote

This might be a bit “penny wise, dollar foolish”. I have said in these forums before that superior gear will never make up for a lack of training or attitude. But superior gear WILL allow you to leverage your training and attitude more effectively.

One of the driving forces behind the MSS Project was consistency and repeatability (same cheek weld whether opened or closed, presets to get to the same length, friction lock to remove any movement, dual angle buttplate for same place shouldering, etc.)

If this consistency and repeatability adds just 10% to your effectiveness in training then the small extra price paid for the right equipment is negligible.

Just my two cents.

BTW- SinistralRifleman Off topic but I just showed one of your 870 adapters to my tool and die guys and they agree that that thing is a work of art. Well done.
View Quote

Aha, just the guy i was looking for...

Rich,

I sent you an email a couple of days ago, but hadn't heard back.  One of the reasons I posted this question is I am looking for a new, *comfortable* stock that has the capablility to stow some cleaning gear.  Is there any plan to release the "Air Force" toe for the magpul in the near future, or an accessory that could stow my cleaning kit?  I think a collapsible stock that could carry an Otis cleaning kit would be *very* popular.  

And for the record, I specifically did *not* want this to become an argument of "Magpul is too expensive."  We all (unfortunately) do not have unlimited funds, but my interest was why you felt a certain stock was the best.  When I win the lottery, I'll be sure to buy everyone a magpul, vltor, crane, AND M4 (in your choice of coyote brown or OD green!) and then we can empirically test them on the CQB course I will have in my huge back yard.  [;)]  
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Go with the Magpul:
1. Modularity is wave of the future.
[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=69598&c=500&z=1"][img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/069598.JPG[/img][/url]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#17]
My vote is for the Magpul stock.

When I first saw them and saw the price I was skeptical, but after trying one out and feeling how solid the stock is, and how easily it is adjusted, I got one for my M4.
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/p13d2d37e70372c9110f4dd11267a4a80/fa8d7960.jpg[/img]

An excellent piece of kit.

SKBY.[x]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I haven't tried the Magpul yet, but since I hang way back on the stock, I like the Vltor, my cheek doesn't touch the tube (no nose to C/H).  If I nosed to C/H, I would take the Magpul.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:03:37 AM EDT
[#19]
" I like the nice touches, one of them being the extra leverage built into the release lever that makes pulling the stock off the buffer extension SO much easier."

I have a real Crane stock and I can remove it from the tube with one hand. It is a simple technique (you grab the rear part of the latch and pull down and then slide the stock rearward with that same hand and off the tube. Putting it on is just as easy.)

I have not used the M93, but I may get a chance to try one out and let you know what I think. The Crane is King of std carbine stocks IMO (if you want access to the tubes without removing the stock, no one is stopping you, just heat up a knife on the stove and chop the tabs off the Batt caps and it will no longer require removeal for battery cap removeal.

[b]So what is best?

Either Crane or M93, I haven't tried the M93 so I can't pass judgement on it.[/b]

Oh by the way I shoot nose to Ch and that is no proplem with the Crane, I like them ajusted at Colt's or Vltors position 2 (Vltors 2 is closer (where I shoot my ACOG)) Colt is missing a position where it should be.  (If you like over 14 inches of stock you will have problems but I don't like 14 inches of stock.

"I'd spend the $100-$200 I saved over the more specialty stocks and use it for mags, ammo, optics, or training."

[b]I don't see how any of that is different than a good stock. And why pay for training, Join the Army or become a law enforcement officer and you will get training for free. Thunder Ranch isn't getting any of my money.[/b]

Crane repros and real Cranes in circulation number about 40 stocks right now, so expect low numbers (very few people have ever used them).
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:37:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
the rifle was wet from the rain when I took the pic.
View Quote

[img]http://www.ezboard.com/images/posticons/pi_thumbsup.gif[/img] Now that's the spirit!  Someone who's NOT afraid to get their rifle wet.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I voted the magpul

I do agree that superior training will win out - however it is nice to have both :)

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=19800[/img]

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=19824[/img]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Have a Vltor, Magpul, Ribbed and standard collapsables. Like the Magpul and Vltor better than anything before them, but the Magpul gets my vote. There's an article in the new SWAT magazine reveiwing all of the above stocks. I have not read it yet but it looks interesting. It was written by Pat rogers who is also a poster here. Check it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top