Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2003 9:11:58 PM EDT
wondering if anyone has used it want to do 2 of my barrels. how is it put on ? found their site and the product seems good.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:29:40 AM EDT
[#1]
what is their web site?
The stuff must be good, MSTN uses it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:31:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#3]
It's not the "wimp name wesley" it's ignorant people calling me West!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#4]
From my personal experience KG Gunkote is not very durable. I had a AR barrel Gunkoted and I put masking tape around the barrel(under the handguard portion)to protect the finish when I wrench the barrel back in the upper, but when I remove the masking tape I saw small chip or flake being taped off! It was done by a gunsmith, it was parkerzied before Gunkote. Very disappointing!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
From my personal experience KG Gunkote is not very durable. I had a AR barrel Gunkoted and I put masking tape around the barrel(under the handguard portion)to protect the finish when I wrench the barrel back in the upper, but when I remove the masking tape I saw small chip or flake being taped off! It was done by a gunsmith, it was parkerzied before Gunkote. Very disappointing!!!
View Quote

I had the same problem the first time I used it, but it was operator error.  After that, I've been sure to thoroughly clean the surface with acetone and then let it warm up on top of the oven.  Applying GunKote to a clean, warm surface has always worked great for me!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had the same problem the first time I used it, but it was operator error.  After that, I've been sure to thoroughly clean the surface with acetone and then let it warm up on top of the oven.  Applying GunKote to a clean, warm surface has always worked great for me!
View Quote

Yeah, first get it from [url=http://kgcoatings.com/]KG Coatings[/url] and not the spray can crap some people are selling. I use the 2400 series. Oxide blast or rough the surface appropriately according to the directions supplied. Clean the part. Warm the part to at least 70°F. Use an airbrush to apply the Gun Kote in very thin layers, letting it dry between sprays. Cure it in an oven per directions.

I blasted a stainless frame with 90 grit aluminum oxide at 90 psi, cleaned it with brake parts cleaner and applied the GK as stated above. After it was cool I tried everything to scratch it (dropping it on things, dropping it in gravel, dropping tools on it, etc) and it took a few rubs with a sharp bastard file to finally break through to the steel underneath.

Now, I put a pretty thick coat on it (0.001") but it holds up EXCELLENTLY. And some other people here can attest that my hands eat the finish off firearms, and I've had no wear to the GK (except that little file mark).

Jonathan
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, my Gunkoted barrel was done by a gunsmith from this board who has great feedback from other members. I do not want to name names but he is a great guy offered to re-do it free  of charge but since I already installed the barrel into the upper, I let it go. If you ask me I would not use Gunkote again!
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I have experienced excessive "chipping" also!

Seems a bit too brittle.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:23:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had my stainless BBL's done by Lauer with GK without any problems.  The rest of the guns were done with Duracoat.  No problems so far, never had to repair a built gun yet.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Ten Ring Precision Inc.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I really like the results I have had using Gun-Kote.  The finish is durable as long as it is applied right.  It leaves a nice satin finish that is very attractive.  Norrell's is great stuff and leaves more of a flat finish than the Gun-Kote.  Here is a terrible pic of an upper and lower I did in Gun-Kote.  It is much nicer than the pic gives it credit.

[img]http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/2694AR.jpg[/img]

IDHunt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top