Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2003 7:12:35 PM EDT
As usual, I can't decide...

Financial squeeze has halted adding a second AR to the stable.  I wanted a 20" HBAR to use with a scope for some varmint hunting out to 200 yards or so to go along with my current 14.5" fluted flat-top bushy that I use at the range, usually with A2 irons.

So for now, I'd like to change my Bushy into a sort of "carbine that can also be scoped".

I'm going to replace the 14.5" bbl with a RRA mid-length barrel , but when I send it to KKF for a little weight loss, should I have him a) turn and flute or b) turn to A2 profile?

I'm looking for the best accuracy to lightweight balance, and your input is appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 4:08:54 AM EDT
[#1]
This is a good question as I have a heavy barrel I want skinned down a little as well. I was thinking of having some "fins" turned into it as this would be easy and can be done here where as fluting will have to be sent away. What I am worried about is, will the fins introduce some strange harmonic into the barrel affecting accuracy?

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:47:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I am having a similar struggle.  I also want to lighen my Bushmaster 20" HBAR.  I am trying to decide between a Government A2 profile and a LW (A1) profile.  The LW profile also has the barrel diameter reduce in front of the front sight.  I have been trying to determine how much accuracy improvement is gained by having the muzzle end of the barrel heavier, even though the majority of the barrel is thinner.  The A1 profile is 0.625 from chamber to muzzle.  The A2 is about 0.75 ahead of the muzzle (depending on manufacturer) and adds about 1/2 lb. of weight.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#3]
You can buy a complete M16A1 barrel (everything from forward of the receiver) for under $200, maybe closer to $100 -- check Shotgun News.  Takes 15 minutes to swap the barrel.  If you stick to M193 Ball this is a great barrel and it's noticeably lighter than the M16A2.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#5]
The 20" bbl weights are as follows:

H-bar..3.5lb
H-bar fluted..3.0
A-2 profile..2.5
A-1 profile..2.2

I'm thinking for a varmint rig, go with the H-bar fluted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top