Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2003 6:36:35 PM EDT
Well I finally got to try my home built AR for accuracy with match ammo.  It was shooting MOA groups consistantly unless high wind cause horizontal stringing.  Everyone who shot it had excellent results.  Even had some sub MOA 5 shot groups with 75 grain ammo.  I need to put all 5 shots in a 4" bullseye at 300 yards to be able to test at further distances at my local range.

Link Posted: 11/9/2003 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#1]
MMmmmm. Yummy!

You need an M4-96D on that QD mount, it will tighten up your groups even more.  I also note you have one more rail panel cover than most.  Hmmm...
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The rail panel cover on my Magpuk stock is attached to the rail on my off side.  The panel is custom cut to fit in pace of the M900 should I decide to remove it.  Takes about 6 seconds to get the M900 off and put the extra rail back in place.  Its so low profile I dont even notice it shooting with either side.  The pic is kind of dark so I am supprised you saw it back there.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's a group I shot with that rifle.

The 4 shots are 0.45" (100yds).  That last (5th) shot was a called flyer...it really pissed me off to ruin that group.

DevL had some similar (or batter) groups, but I don't have the target to photograph.

[img]www.btammolabs.com/images/M4group.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#4]
"I need to put all 5 shots in a 4" bullseye at 300 yards to be able to test at furhter distances at my local range."

What nazi made that rule? In Lodi WI there is a 600M highpower range and most guys who shoot there shoot 3-position and are lucky to hold 2.5MOA (or 7.5inches at 300yds).
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
"I need to put all 5 shots in a 4" bullseye at 300 yards to be able to test at furhter distances at my local range."

What nazi made that rule? In Lodi WI there is a 600M highpower range and most guys who shoot there shoot 3-position and are lucky to hold 2.5MOA (or 7.5inches at 300yds).
View Quote

Dunno who made it, but that's the rule.  You have to put 5 in the white circle at 300yds to move on to 400yds.  Then again at 400yds to shoot at 500 or 600yds.  

It's not easy.  We both came close to doing it, tho.  Next time, under better light and lighter winds, I feel it will be no problem.

[edit to say that you can't have any other bullet holes on the paper.  So you can't shoot 20 rounds and hope that 5 of those ended up in the circle.]
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#6]
The range is the largest and nicest in the Houston area but they are REALLY over anal about things.  

"You cannot handle your weapons in the parking lot. Please bring your weapon to the firing line to do that!"

"Do not point your muzzle down it must be pointed up!"

I was also remined about 10 times to wear my eye protection I kept forgetting was on top of my head.  The good thing is at the 200-600 yard ranges you call your own cease fires, have steel reinforced concrete benches and can drive down to the targets during cease fires (at least you used to be able to) bad thing is there are no spotting scopes there and I have realised my Bushnell 32X spotting scope is just not up to the task.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The rail panel cover on my Magpuk stock is attached to the rail on my off side.  The panel is custom cut to fit in pace of the M900 should I decide to remove it.  Takes about 6 seconds to get the M900 off and put the extra rail back in place.  Its so low profile I dont even notice it shooting with either side.  The pic is kind of dark so I am supprised you saw it back there.
View Quote

I saw it, it makes the rig look extra cool - I just love those special touches and people who are willing to take it to that degree.

About the range - muzzles up?  sounds like a pain in the ass.  Even handguns?  Sounds really tiring.  What is wrong with pointing down if you don't sweep anyone?  My range has a dirt ground so there is not a whole lot of concern about ricochets.  Should there be?  I am accustomed to always pointing down.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Sweet carbine and some sweet shooting DevL.

That range could kiss my ass...my guns are always pointed downward.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Concrete flooring with elevated black top firing line.  I guess the rule is because of ricochet possibilities.  I guess they expect a ND to just blow a hole in the steel roof and falling lead to just bounce off the roof.  At 200 yards to 500 there is no roof and you can do whatever you want.  I think its to control all the dumbass hunters who are there, especially this time of year.  There had to be almost 10 range officers there.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 6:02:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I think we must have similar tastes in ARs DevL - or similar uses for them anyway. Is that a CMMG barrel on that one?
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Actually its a 14.5" 1/7 twist Bushmaster M4 with a Gemtech Bilock flash hider.  I wanted to be able to add a sound suppressor after it was laser welded into place.  I considered a CMMG 14.5" barrel since I would be replacing the front sight anyway (DPMS is cast front sight) but my lower is a preban Bushy and I got the Bushmaster bareel for $30 less than I could get the CMMG DPMS M4 1/7 barrel.

Edtied to add:  The GGG A2 rear BUIS is there for evaluation purposes.  Its lower than an ARMS 40 because it uses the small aperature as the primary sight when its popped up where the ARMS 40 uses the large aperature.  The 40 is also faster to get to get up since you just flick the retaining bar to get it up.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#12]
How many times did they have to remind you to put eye protection on?  

How many shooter added holes do you see in the pavement versus the overhead?

Lessee, NDs into the pavement will almost undoubtedly cause ricochets or fragmenting and splaatter.  NDs into a metal roof will probably just poke a hole in the roof and then go ???

Based on the extra holes I've seen at almost range I have ever been to, maybe being anal about safety is not a bad thing.  Especailly with folks around that can't even remember to wear their eye protection, what else are they forgetting?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top