Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2003 11:42:23 AM EDT
Have any of these been adopted by military SF?  The ones I have read about all break under heavy use/stress.  I'm just skeptical because anytime you take something that is just a weight of specific dimensions and add complicated hydrolics, springs and whatnot to it, you are adding more moving parts and adding potential for breakdown.

That's not to say they can't work, just that a lot of time and engineering has to go into it to make sure it's bullet proof.  Are there any out there that are just SOLID?  TIA
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Colt H buffer is adopted by the whole military.

The AAC ROF reducer is awesome I own one and eventually I will buy a second one.  They are very high quality units and should not fall apart or anything.

There is also a supposed "sopmod H buffer" that I've seen marketed on the boards for $150. I don't know if they or anything like them are actually issued but it looks pretty solid too (tungsten I think).  But I know AAC and they work so I doubt I'll switch to anythings else.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the reply Green0.

Have you noticed any reduction in recoil with the AAC?  Has anyone done any tests to see just how well it stands up to torture?  Any idea how many grams or ounces it weighs?
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The AAC ROF reducer is awesome I own one and eventually I will buy a second one.
View Quote

Green0 -

Do you have a link to a site with pics & specs on that buffer??? TIA!
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Advanced Armament Corporation.

[url]http://www.advanced-armament.com/ar-15.html[/url]

I have one and it works great. I use it on everything from my 9mm 635 upper to my 20" A2. It even makes the Colt LMG upper work with a collapible stock.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Greeno,

I've been looking at the AAC buffer you mentioned but I was wondering if it causes reduced reliability with ammo that's not loaded to mil-spec velocites.  Have you noticed your carbine being finicky with ammo or has the AAC buffer made it more reliable with all types of ammo?

Link Posted: 10/27/2003 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There is also a supposed "sopmod H buffer" that I've seen marketed on the boards for $150. I don't know if they or anything like them are actually issued but it looks pretty solid too (tungsten I think).
View Quote

green0,
i bought a couple of 'H' buffers from fulton armory, listed as 'Buffer, CAR, Colt Heavy, Tungsten'.  they are indistinguishable visually from the standard colt 'H' buffers i have (same colour, 'H' stamp, etc), but they're definitely heavier.  i weighed one and it was about 155 grams (same as the colt 9mm SMG 2-piece buffer), as opposed to 107 grams for the standard 'H' buffer.  i'm wondering if these are the 'sopmod H buffer' you mentioned.  they cost $35 each from fulton armory.  if they're the same thing, that's a good buy.
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 10:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope- The "so called SOPMOD buffer" I was mentioning is all shiny tungsten turned out on a lathe and is the same shape as the old buffer but this one's rear body is the sliding weight (not just housing it).  Different.

I think some of the recreational users here torture test everything past what the military would do (in their M16's) and I have heard of just one problem with an AAC unit (roll pin coming out...

There was a member who was building his own tungsten weights to replace the standard ones..

I notice a reduction in recoil and a very smooth effect. It really smoothes recoil.  quick shots are very easy. I like them.  I have used H-buffered M4's but never an H-buffer in my gun so I can't compare.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:47:16 AM EDT
[#8]
AAC works well for me.  9mm upper and 223 on the M-16 system.  Had one for several years and the pin started to come out of it.  tried to fix it myself, but ended up sending it back to AAC, and it was promptly replaced with a new one.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 6:12:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Is this a continuing problem with their buffers or has this been resolved and all new buffers don't have this problem?  How many rounds did it take for the roll pin to start working it's way out?

I think some of the recreational users here torture test everything past what the military would do (in their M16's) and I have heard of just one problem with an AAC unit (roll pin coming out...
View Quote

Are there any posts regarding those tests?  Any more details or specifics on these?
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#11]
When using one I had 3 failures to lock the bolt back on an empty mag.  I will test it further to see if it will go haywire with a FatBoy and LMT bolt/carrier next week.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I plan on making my own buffer just because it is something that would be inexpensive to play with.  The key is to anticipate the failure modes and make the buffer still work with them.  Of course, mine will be on an AR15 so it will be a recoil reducing/smoothing device.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Advanced Armament Corporation.

[url]http://www.advanced-armament.com/ar-15.html[/url]

I have one and it works great. I use it on everything from my 9mm 635 upper to my 20" A2. It even makes the Colt LMG upper work with a collapible stock.
View Quote

Does anyone know which one on the site is the right one for a CAR buffer (.223)?  More specifically, I have a shorty fixed stock (7 1/2").
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#14]
"When using one I had 3 failures to lock the bolt back on an empty mag. I will test it further to see if it will go haywire with a FatBoy and LMT bolt/carrier next week."

My bet is YES it will go haywire.

If you are getting the Fatboy and LMT blockII  carrier to cycle you either are one lucky bastard or have an erroded gas port.  I took out my LMT 10.5 and put the Block II B/BC in it and fired about 65 rds and it was experiencing short stroking and FTF's about every 3rd round, toward the end it smoothed up a little and I managed to get off one 13rd burst.  Yeah it was SLLLOOOOWWWW  sounded like a greasegun POP-POP-POP-POP-POP-POP-POP-POP-POP-POP-POP-POP-POP my guess would be it was at about 450RPM.

Maybe with time this combo will become reliable but I know I won't need to use an H-buffer untill I get my KAC M4 QD.

[b]The fatboy and the LMT BC are both doing the same thing, robbing the gas of it's power to cycle the weapon (retarding the cyclic rate)- if you can get it to work it is cadillac smooth slow ass FA fire though. I had those 13rds inside a coffeecan at 25yds[/b]

My deer rifle (16in DISSY) has a PRI Fat boy tube and AAC buffer, I'll let you know how that works out by next week. (I have to find time to get to the range, my rifle isn't sighted and deer season is 9 days away!)
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:00:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Like Green0 said, the "H" buffer is ubiquitous throughout the mil. in M4s & M4A1s.  Army issued Heavy barrel M4A1s (RO921HB is the model #) come with a different Colt buffer, the "H2" buffer which IIRC is heavier more to ensure reliability than anything else.  They look like a normal buffer but are stamped "2H" instead of "H"
..just throwing that out there FYI
HTH
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:17:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I like the AAC.
Here is a link to my website.
[url]http://www2.c3junkie.com:6721[/url]
I have ROF tests with the following buffers:
DPMS 2 piece mechanical
AAC Buffer
Hydraulic
the New MGI buffer
I only did tests in 9mm though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top