Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2003 6:12:38 PM EDT
My M4-96D that sees a fair amount of use with the M4 will also be used on my 18" Knight's SR15 Match upper.  I haven't done any POI testing to date with either one, but was curious if anyone else had.  I know there will be some, but just wonder how extreme it will be.

If nobody else has done any testing on this, I'll go ahead and try to give a nice little write up when I get some more time on my hands.

Thanks,

--Keith
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Inpact will change, (more rds. closer together), as with most supressors.
Jack
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]
As stated, suppressors usually cause a shift in POI, and sometimes tighten groups.  The important thing is that the suppressor, like the M4-96D is indexed on the barrel the same everytime so that the known POI can be taken into account.  Those suppressors that are thread mounted and use QD mounts that don't have a circular/radial index will cause your POI to change each time it's mounted.  This is one reason why I like the M4-96D mount, the suppressor can only go on one way, and indexes the same each time.  I am wondering if the KAC, AAC, Ops. Inc, or others have this feature (SWR uses Gemtech mounts)?  Anyone know?
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#3]
KAC has an index pin that fits into the cuttout on the bottom of their flash hiders...
 They index identically each time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]
AAC M4-2000 is threaded on and inconel spring retained (it can only go on one way.) I have used them. Nice system.

Link Posted: 10/27/2003 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the old Navy test docs somewhere around here - ok, found 'em!

debriefing for (SOPMOD) evaluation:

NAVSURFWARCENDIV: "Average sound reduction 32.7dB... Operator shooting performance increased from baseline in both semi-auto and full-auto...The addition of the Gemtech suppressor had no significant effect on the group extreme spread... The point of impact shift from unsuppressed to suppressed configuration was 1.2MOA..."

We've found that heavier barrels out to 20" will prove to have less shift than lighter, longer barrels (duh). Shorter, stiffer barrels will have less MOA shift, until you get under 10" bbls.

The bilock system used by SWR and Gemtech will return to the same POI each time, unlike threaded mounting systems that can change POI with torque variances. If you use a threaded can or threaded "quick" mount, it might be a suggestion for super-accuracy you put it on with a torque wrench to ensure to retain same POI. Of course, for short range CQB types things, it's not that big a deal.

Kel
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Kel,

Thanks, that's the kind of info I was looking for.  Hopefully my testing will result in the same or very close results....

--Keith
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top