Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2003 9:29:16 PM EDT
I saw this advertised on the RRA catalog.

CALIBER...................223 Wylde Chamber.

I never heard of it. Is there a thread of this chamber somewhere in these posts?

Thanks

Dan
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 7:16:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Simply-It is a compromise between 5.56 and .223 chambers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Bil Wylde is a famous Ar builder whose written a fair amount about barrelling AR's for precision shooting.

Wylde refers to his reamer that he cuts the chamber with. It differs considerable in the neck,throat area of chamber.

Nato chamber has long throat, due to design issues like failure to clean. Nato is different from .223 commerical also.

Wylde was looking for accuracy and barrel life. This design is generally referred to as short throated. It limits the free travel of bullet before it engages the rifling.

Frank White of CLE uses a similiar short throat reamer.

So people who spend the money on Krieger, Douglas barrels usually use a Wylde style chamber for accuracy and handling heave bullets in the 75/80 grain VLD designs.

Feamster book has good section on the differences.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Bill Wylde designed this chamber reamer in anticipation of the govt. coming out with some match loads from their arsenals. It never happened. What he was looking for was accuracy and safe and reliable funcitioning with GI ammo as well. The Wylde is essentially the same as the NATO chamber in the body area. It does have a shorter throat the leaded angle is a bit different. The CLE chamber is a bit tighter in the body area and has an even shorter throat than the Wylde.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 4:47:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the info.

Man I read "Black Magic" twice and I must have missed it.[noclue]

My mind wanders alot while reading, will have to stay more focused.[thinking]

Looks like I will have to read it again.[naughty]

Dan
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#5]
[url]ammo-oracle.com[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top