Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2003 10:08:06 AM EDT
Hi guys: Generally speaking is heavy barrel more accurate than a M4 type barrel? Would a 16" Bushmaster heavy barrel be more accurate than a 16" Bushmaster M4 barrel? I am trying to put together a new upper just can't decide which barrel to order. Also would a Fluted 16" HB be lighter than a 16" M4 barrel?  Any help would be really appreciated!  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#1]
HBAR is no more accurate than an M4 barrel - just heavier.

From Lightest to Heaviest:
Lightweight 2.0 lbs
M4 2.2 lbs (either 16" or 14.5 + longer muzzle device)
Fluted HBAR 2.3lbs
HBAR 2.7lbs
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]
"HBAR is no more accurate than an M4 barrel - just heavier"

That's an oxy-moron Heavier means less vibrations, means better accuracy.

esspecially as the barrel heats.  

For some reason there are people who believe that there is a free lunch out there (there is not- If you want the best accuracy you will have to use the heavier contour barrel.)

[b]The accuracy difference is probably 1MOA for the M4 and maybe three-quarters to half that for the 16in HBAR.

Both figures for free floated setups (without a FF HG your groups will depend on forearm tension and consistency.)

Not a big difference as neither barrel is match grade and both are chrome lined. But a difference nonetheless[/b]

Link Posted: 10/23/2003 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
[b]The accuracy difference is probably 1MOA for the M4 and maybe three-quarters to half that for the 16in HBAR.

Both figures for free floated setups (without a FF HG your groups will depend on forearm tension and consistency.)

Not a big difference as neither barrel is match grade and both are chrome lined. But a difference nonetheless[/b]
View Quote

How about the 20" barrels?  Is there a .5 MoA or more difference between 20" Govt A2 and HBAR?  
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks a lot guys! I think I will go with a M4 barrel because my lower is semi and even with a fluted 16" HB it is still a little heavier than a M4 profile barrel.  If the accurate difference is only 1/2 MOA I can live with that.
Thanks again!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I just dealt with this issue.  I initially had a Colt 16" HBAR that was just too heavy for its intended purpose as a patrol rifle.  I sent it to Kurt's Kustom and had the barrel turned and fluted.  There was weight savings of ~5 oz or 1/4 lb.

As I run a Surefire M500AB, that wasn't enough weight savings.  I ultimatley bought an M4 upper and found it to be ideal.  I shot both side by side and I did not notice any appreciable difference in the accuracy of the two units.  I fired ~3,000 rounds between two carbine classes and never had any concerns with heat or accuracy.  Pat Rogers made the point that while the HBAR heat more slowly, they also cool more slowly.  You're actually more likely to have cookoff with a heavy barrel than an M4.

P.S. - For anyone interested, I have a nice, hardly used Colt HBAR upper with a turned and fluted barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top