Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2003 7:07:07 AM EDT
I just open the lower parts kit I got from Model1 and noticed that some of the components are different colors; is this normal?  My mag release, front takedown pin, and safety selector are green while all my other parts are various shaded of dark grey / black.  Where can I go to get black replacements for the green parts?
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know if you'd call it "normal", but it is fairly usual. Part of it is the difference in materials. Things like the aluminum trigger guards and mag release buttons are aluminum, and most aftermarket suppliers will give you pieces that have been black anodised, rather than the charcoal finish of the lower reciever.

The steel pieces, selector levers, takedown push pins, triggers, mag release and bolt holdopens, are invariably subcontracted parts, phosphate finished, and usually acquired from different subbies. Their color will depend on 1)the type of steel that was used, 2)the type of phosphate finish applied, and 3)the length of time the piece was left in the bath tank.

The only way you can be assured of getting a fairly close color match, I believe, is to find a parts dealer at a gun show who will let you paw thru his stock of the various pieces to color match your parts[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top