Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2003 9:08:08 AM EDT
Can anyone comment on these lowers or the suitability of creating a lower from titanium?

I'm going to buy an Oly Arms lower.  My goals are to buy a lower that is going to be the most durable, withstand wear the longest, last the longest, and best survive a KB.

Are the titanium receivers more 'brittle' than conventional receivers?  Anything else I should know about them?

Any info or first hand accounts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't plan for my Ar to blow up but if that is your point I don't think anything but SS could handle it.  And then your upper will still be destroyed.  

I don't really see the point the aluminum is light and strong and although it is susceptable to finish wear you really have to abuse one to come to a point where it is worn out.

Case in point: a lot of units in the military do MOUT training and sometimes kick weapons accross floors and away from Dead OPFOR and these weapons have a lot of finish wear and silver parts but other than that they are perfectly functional.    

[b]There is not a real need for anything stronger than aluminum

unless you want to be able to fire underwater without modification to the reciever.  (you will probably need SS here too.)

Stainless recievers are thick and strong but heavy as well.[/b]

It sounds like you are in the post ban market anyway (buy a forged aluminum lower for $100 and shoot it till it wears out [IE: pin holes enlarge neccessitating repair or replacement] (65,000-150,000rds) then buy another $100 lower to replace the original.) That ought to give you an idea of how long they allready last. You will probably go through a fire control kit before you wear out the lower.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.  I'm not planning on a KB, just looking for maximum durability.

I'm thinking about the Oly offer to replace transferable M16 receivers.  This is where the durability issue comes up.  Buying a new receiver when this one wears out isn't an option.  I'd like my grandkids to be able to shoot the gun years from now.  This adds a new spin to the question concerning long term wear.

Having spent time in the Corps I'm pretty familiar with M16 use (abuse?).  Back then though, my armorer would give me a new gun if I found a way to break anything.  That's not an option with a pricey transferable.

The Ti lower might not be absolutely needed, but is it better or worse (durability, functionality, geometry) than standard aluminum?

Thanks for your time,

Matt
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Ti lower ------- $375
Al (forged) ---- $125

I'd get 3 forged aluminum lowers if I had the choice.  I think they came out with the Ti lowers for novelty and precaution [i](in case a new ban prohibits remanufacturing of lowers)[/i].
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#4]
What about their "Maxhard" receivers?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top