Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2003 4:00:04 AM EDT
I have no problem understanding why a FF'd barrel should be more accurate. I do have a problem with spending the extra $ for what may only be minimal gains on the rest or in the field.

Can anyone weigh in on this topic? I too share the philosophy "better to have and not need than to need and not have...". Can anyone mention how tighter their groups have become after this upgrade?

I own a BM DCM rifle capable of 1/4 moa. I want to add a carbine upper to my collection. Thinking about free floating. Worth it or not?
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:10:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:46:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Gunzer, I once shot a 14 1/2 barrel 300 yards three shot group into 1 1/2 inches prone (with one bag, ACOG, no wind, etc.). This barrel had regular handguards. As you allready know, this is the AR15 inherent accuracy. I could sometimes/more regularly do 3", with 4-5 inches the standard. After free floating, while the groups tightened some,  what convinced me on FF AR was the consistency. It now shots those 3" and occasional 1 1/2" groups much more often, if I do my part. For combat accuracy, both are fine. For combat conditions, FF wins hands down due to the heat effects on the barrel. But are we going into combat with our guns? But for the final verdict, wait till you shoot 1-2 MOA with your carbine at 600 yards and dazzle your friends. How's the saying go? Priceless.
Thanks.....Chad
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 8:10:52 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have extremely consistent pressure on the forend the groups will not be different.  

Consistnt pressure is hard to do.  I recccomend buying the FF tube so you can concentrate on the sights and the target and get the concerns of forend pressure out of your head.  

FF tubes generally will allow a setup with a decent barrel to consistently do MOA or less at 100yds.  (all mine have done about 1/2MOA from a bench ACOG sighted.)

[b]Remember every position without FF guards has it's own pressure on the guards and will make you POI for example in Prone different than in kneeling. This is just another reason to buy a FF tube. [/b]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Define accuracy.  In my CQB carbine, I want what I call practical accuracy.  I define practical accuracy as being able to consistently hit a 6” plate at 100 yards off-hand, stationary (i.e. not moving).  I also want to hit an 8” plate at 25 yards while moving.  Hits on targets of that size equates to a center-mass (or better even?) hit.  I have a hard time believing a free-floated barrel is going to make a discernable difference for [b]this[/b] type of shooting.  In other words, I’m sure the FF tube will improve accuracy, but I doubt I’d notice the difference unless I'm shooting from a bench.

Now, I totally agree any serious target rifle should have a FF tube.  A target rifle should also have, IMHO, a tighter than NATO chamber, no chrome-lined chamber or bore and a very heavy barrel.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Since it was mentioned about highpower I can tell you that a float tube is mandatory. It is not accuracy as much as it is about Point Of Impact shift that a non floated rifle will have when using a sling. Being able to apply consistant pressure with the sling is all but impossible from position to position and day to day, with the float tube that is eliminated. In effect this does enhance accuracy but it also keep those groups consistant and going where they are supposed to go.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
.... I do have a problem with spending the extra $ for what may only be minimal gains on the rest or in the field.
I own a BM DCM rifle capable of 1/4 moa. I want to add a carbine upper to my collection. Thinking about free floating. Worth it or not?
View Quote

In terms of cost, it doesn't have to cost more.  If you are building or having an upper built, you can request that they replace the handguard and delta ring, spring, clip and that should cost about the same or a little less than the cost of a ff tube (non-railed of course).  So it may be $10 or $25 more.  If you are putting $4-500 into the upper, that cost isn't much (imo).
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#7]
For those attaching, detaching and reattaching lasers, sights etc. to a forend a ff forend is a great benefit.  In A carbine used at 10m. for room clearing it won't obviously be effected as much though knowing exactly where your shots are going ie. innocents involved will make you reconsider.  I think a FF forend is a plus all the way around............discounting the cost of course[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top