Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2003 5:31:03 PM EDT
i would like to know more info re: BT silencers...are they really effective compared to others?  especially to the MP5 series..   can you share some sites re: BT silencers..  

thank you
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#1]
They seem to have catastrophic failures more than any other design I have ever seen...

Heavier and longer than competive design without any strength...
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#2]
The B&T impulse IIA sound suppressors test out louder than advertised by 6-8DB.  This is false advertising on the part of B&T. Makes the cheaper, non-recoil boosted AAC Eclipse quieter both wet and dry.

If it happens with the IIA I would guess they cheat on all their designs.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2003 12:04:48 AM EDT
[#3]
what are your experiences with the QD MP5?  .....catastropic?   please share it to us guys....thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Why bother with B&T there are so many good companies out there,

KAC makes one, AAC makes one, Gemtech, AWC, La France makes a Mp5 3-lug suppressor that is a little large (maybe 10inches long) that they advertise a 57(I think if I remember correctly) DB reduction..... That would make the Mp5 quieter than a red rider BB gun.  (way quieter than most good .22lr sound suppressors.)

The La France is a little large but with that insane DB reduction it would be my choice.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I must admit very limited experience with their MP-5 can - The SOPS QD M4 suppressors were th ones we had four KABOOM's with.  One shooter took shrapenel from the Suppresor.  This was from semi auto usage and some .22LR subcal shooting - never made it to F/A testing...

One department I know of sent their MP-5 can back, but they would not ellaborate on the reasons.

Their CDN distributor will not deal with them anymore...

Link Posted: 10/17/2003 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd just brought one B/T ROTEX II for my M4/DPMS. I'm very satisfied with it. Even with standart M855/SS109 ammo it sound like a 22 rimfire.
I didn't try yet with dedicated reload but somebody told me that it sounds like an airgun!
Speaking about weight it exceed US MILSPEC 18.3Oz and same length as Knight model. It's made of TITANIUM and stainless steel and special design IOT eliminate fouling.
Attaching it is very easy because of it's rotating locking ring without special flach hider!!!
Very funny and usefull
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#7]
"Speaking about weight it exceed US MILSPEC 18.3Oz and same length as Knight model. It's made of TITANIUM and stainless steel and special design IOT eliminate fouling.
Attaching it is very easy because of it's rotating locking ring without special flach hider!!!
Very funny and usefull"

Well it is easy in the suppressor industry to make a suppressor lower sound signature to that of a KAC M4QD suppressed M4 but it is not easy to have the suppressor withstand the 500-600rds of fullauto fire that the KAC M4 QD will withstand.  Many suppressors are quiet but few are quiet and able to withstand heavy full auto useage.

[b]Not trying to bash your suppressor, It is probably fine for use within its design limits.

I would not reccomend buying Bruger and Thomet.  BR Tuote (another foriegn manufacturer), however makes fine products, but you can't buy them here in the US. Why, with all the good companies selling here would you want to go to a company with a shady reputation with regards to quality and product performance?[/b]
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#8]
it looks like GreenO is a little bit problematic about the BT company :->    other than those mentioned already.......what else would you comment on the B&T silencers..we in law enforcement community have some of those & we would like to know how to maintain a B&T silncers... tnx
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 1:01:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Didn’t the '68 GCA forbid further importation of Class III firearms, which would include B&T suppressors?

Is a civilian able to get these B&T suppressors?

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 3:32:19 AM EDT
[#10]
On my MP5SD I switched from the factory can (short life durability) to the KAC steel replacement can on HK's recommendation.  I really like it, but it was freakin expensive.

On an MP5 I would use my Gemtech Raptor 3-lug, which I use on an M11 that Gemtech put a tri-lug on to.  Nice can.  There are probably better, but I happen to already own one of these.

I don't like the BT's, they do indeed inflate their suppression figures, and 6-8 dB, if that is what it is, is a HUGE difference on the logarithmic scale.

Some mfg's give shoddy figures, false or derived from improper testing procedure/equipment, and they use wet suppression and try to pass it off as dry.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I think CCF firearms is still building (or selling their remaining stock of B&T license built sound suppressors.)

So yes you can buy them here.  

Too bad there aren't license built Br Tuote/reflex sound suppressors over here (they aren't high tech cans (with sound suppression figures of 18-24DB being normal on full auto rifle cans but they are cheap(around $180), light weight, add little too weapon OAL (like 3.75-6in) and from reports I have heard from KevinB they take sustained full auto fire well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:50:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:Heavier and longer than competive design without any strength...
View Quote

Kevin,
sincerely I had not any troubles with my B&T SOPS QD but compared to the KAC's one it is true that's heavier & longer.
PP out
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#13]
i cant bear the idea of putting water into the can to make it work better....would you like to put some into it when the bad guys is at your door alreayd? :->  
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#14]
PP,

B&T later told us they sent us a number of deffective suppressors [:(!]
Seems some had baffles that were made out of poorly bonded (whatever) alloy.

Now that ensured I would never touch another one of their cans again - as they knowingly allowed deffective items out for sale/demo/etc.

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Add some of the FP-10 companies Wet Can grease and it will be ready a month from now...

Or you can simply spit into the rear of the suppressor prior to mounting both are quick.

And with pistol cans the wet difference is huge.  If you want a quiet shot you probably want it wet.

28DB on a 9mm can is plenty to keep ears from ringing but you probably want 38-40DB to ensure no one hears/notices the shot (if that is what you are going for).

Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:02:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Kevin,
I understand,you're completely right.
PP out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top