Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2003 2:47:42 PM EDT
I have my RRA lower with NM trigger and A2 buttstock. Now I'm trying to figure out my upper. I've decided to go with an A2 style upper (meaning carry handle and A2 sights). I know I want a 16" barrel and no muzzle brake. This is gonna be a plinker/starter/general purpose rifle.

-What is the difference between a C.A.R. upper and an M4 upper?
-I like the look of the M4 handguards, can those fit on any 16" carbine?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#1]
All carbine length handgaurds are the same so you can swap CAR, M4, CavArms C4, Knights RAS, etc. as you will.  Unless the barrel uses the newer midlength habdguards, that is.  These barrels are basically only available from RRA and Armalite and they will be clearly marked as such.  Even if you do choose a barrel with mid length handguards you can get handguards from CavArms that are the M4 shape.

The difference between a CAR, M4 or any other 16" barrel is contour.  Do you want heavy, light, M4, or whatever contour?
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#2]
My goal is to have a really light handy rifle. Any picks using that criteria?
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#3]
You want a lightweith barrel then, or 'Superlight' as Bushmaster calls them.  The M4 is only a few ounces heavier, and some prefer the slightly muzzle heavy feel as opposed to the lightweight.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Go with an M-4.  You won't be disappointed!  You get accuracy, and looks all rolled up into one.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want iron sights why dont you use an A1 upper with A2 front post and rear aperature?  It would cost less, be lighter and more rugged.  I would suggest the A1 upper and superlight barrel from Bushmaster.  That would be one hell of a light weight and rugged upper.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you want iron sights why dont you use an A1 upper with A2 front post and rear aperature?  It would cost less, be lighter and more rugged.  I would suggest the A1 upper and superlight barrel from Bushmaster.  That would be one hell of a light weight and rugged upper.
View Quote

I'll ditto that suggest with one change.  Use a Mepro Tritium front sight and a Express Sights Same Plane rear aperture.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm pretty sure I want to stick with an A2 and the standard sights. The only thing keeping me from being SURE i want the M4 is that they all appear to come with muzzle brakes. No way i want a muzzle brake. So i'm thinking I should get a model1sales C.A.R. and substitute an M4 handguard.

The only thing I wouldn't be getting is a chrome lined barrel which bothers me somewhat.

1 More Q folks: What are the benefits of the M4 style handguard? What is it meant to do vs. a CAR style handguard?
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#8]
if your looking for a bushmaster A2 with a 16 inch barrel i got one that i'll give you a good deal on let me know. It's been babied and looks like new
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#9]
benfur,

I'm interested in what you have to offer. My email to you bounced though. Contact me with specs, price, history of upper.

thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top