Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2003 4:39:35 PM EDT
I'm looking for my first AR. I am currently looking into the Armalite M15A4 carbine and the Rock River Arms CAR A4. Can anyone give advice and experience on each? Any help would be great.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I can only comment on Armalite .
(because I own one - 20" spr)
The fit and finish on mine is equal to,
or better than most AR's I've seen.
With iron sites and decent ammo it shoots
more accurately than I can hold.
(I know cuz others have shot it - sigh )
Every accessory I've tried on the flat top
or gas block fits perfectly also.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#2]
ARMALITE have many more years of experience. RRA made a lot of receivers with way out of dimentioned dovetails and said they were the only ones in spec, but were not.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
ARMALITE have many more years of experience. RRA made a lot of receivers with way out of dimentioned dovetails and said they were the only ones in spec, but were not.
Good shootin, Jack
View Quote

Ditto.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't comment on the Armalite, but yes RRA did make a mistake in the past(out of spec piccatiny rails) and has since corrected it. My new RRA tac Entry m4 is a great shooter. Fit and finish is EXCELLENT and the 1913 rails are definetly in spec.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I also have a RRA Tac Entry M4 with the chrome lined barrel. I could not be happier ! The fit and finish is superb! I went through almost 500 rounds the first day, zero malfunctions. Good Luck
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a couple of both, and believe both are very close  in quality.Price and resale value are the main difference.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a couple of both, and  both are very close in quality.Price and resale value are the main differances.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Why haven't you looked at the colt mt6400c ? I have an rra that PETE AT LEGAL TRANSFERS BUILT and it is sweet ,if you can get one with the RRA nm trigger do it .the colt i just got [mt6400c] is as good except for the trigger and looks better and will have the resale value of a colt . $867.00 at simmons gun specielties ,get an ffl to do a transfer .
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I met with Colt, RRA,Bushmaster Etc. at the Shot Show this past year. As far as I'm concerned I bought my last Colt a few years back. It seemed that the Colt booth wasnt interested in answering questions and were almost rude. I then took my money and bought firearms from Springfield Armory, and decided to make my AR purchase from one of the Companys that were interested in providing good customer service. It seems that Colt was falling back on the reputation of years gone by.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an armalite and a rra. Fit and finish of both is outstanding. If I where looking to purchase an assembled Rifle I'd go with another Armalite. Life time warranty and excellant customer service.

I buy RRA when assembling an AR as the parts are AAA+ and the $$$$ is right[;)]
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Colt is mainly interested in serving military/law enforcement customers.  They have been selling out their 'civilian' customers for years - Sear blocks, non-standard trigger pins, non-standard pivot pins, shaved bayonet lugs, 'Sporter' rifles and more.

IMO, you can't go wrong with RRA.
I recommend ADCO Firearms.

Great prices, personal service, expert advice, the very best products, and $4 flat-rate shipping.
What more could an AR-addict ask for?

[url]www.adcofirearms.com[/url]

[email][email protected][/email]

[url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=170654]AR Specific Tools[/url]

[url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=153935]Rock River parts[/url]
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#12]
If I was buying a new AR (and I just may) at this point in time, I'd get an Armalite for the following reason:

[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=27&t=141497]The ArmaLite Post-PostBan Rifle Program[/url]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:22:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I also have a RRA Tac Entry M4 with the chrome lined barrel. I could not be happier ! The fit and finish is superb! I went through almost 500 rounds the first day, zero malfunctions. Good Luck
View Quote

When did RRA start making chrome lined barrels?

TR
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:51:01 AM EDT
[#14]
The main problem you will have with RRA is resale value. I tried to sell one last year and people either acted like the rifle had the plague or offered me a ridiculous , low-ball price because RRA is so "cheap".

For the money, I would go with an Armalite rifle.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When did RRA start making chrome lined barrels?

TR
View Quote

Technically, Wilson makes the barrels for RRA. It is my understanding that RRA used to offer chrome lining on all barrels as an option up until recently. Nowadays you can only get the M4 (R4) barrel with the chrome lining option. I have one of these chrome lined R4 barrels also, and it's pretty kickass!
B9
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#16]
what about M-APARTS.com they also use wilson barrels . they are slightly cheaper than rra.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 3:08:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I met with Colt, RRA,Bushmaster Etc. at the Shot Show this past year. As far as I'm concerned I bought my last Colt a few years back. It seemed that the Colt booth wasnt interested in answering questions and were almost rude. I then took my money and bought firearms from Springfield Armory, and decided to make my AR purchase from one of the Companys that were interested in providing good customer service. It seems that Colt was falling back on the reputation of years gone by.  
View Quote

Interesting. Before I bought my latest Colt last month I called Hartford, CT to ask a few questions and they fell all over themselves to help me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top